Linux not detecting my modem

Guest olunic

If it's and internal, chances are it's a winmodem. See www.linmodems.org

If you're running 9.1, there'll be an option, in the networking widard for winmodem, it's under normal modem. Sometimes it doesn't appear though. There are also no guaruntees it'll work.

James

Modems are fun. Maybe some are fun.

There are two kinds of modems: ones that have processors and are "real" modems, and ones that use the computers processor to do their modem stuff. The second type are only modems as lomg as a windows software program is present to tell them that they are modems! That's why they're called "winmodems".

Until the last year or so, the winmodem was a good boat anchor in any system other than windex! There is now a possibility that they work, especially with 9.0 or 9.1.

Does your modem show up in the hardware list of the Mandrake Control Center?

Do you have a mac?? Global Village are mac modems.

my googling only turn up Mac stuff :?
same here. and they all said they should work. do you see the modem listed in Hardware in the Mandrake Control Center? Do you get some sort of an error when you try to dial out? What exactly do you mean by "a problem with Linux detecting my modem"? we need more info....

Guest olunic

The modem is not in my mandrake control center. It is an internal modem. Does'nt linuc have a one driver fit all solution like windows or a program for modems like the sndconfig?

not even windows has a driver that works for all solutions. drivers are usually written by the company who makes the peripheril. most of the time companies do not write drivers for linux, and it is left up to people who use linux to write them themselves.

it's unfortunate, but it's just how it is until companies start supporting linux more. sndconfig simply finds the driver if one exists on your system already.