Incomplete upgrade to 2009.0 [solved]

yossarian

Hello everyone,

Last night I thought I successfuly upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 (Gnome), using the Free CD's. I see today that not all the packages were replaced. For example, I see in the MCC openoffice.org-help-en_GB ver 2.4.1.5 installed (and marked with green arrow), and the same package with ver 3.0.0 not installed (and marked with blue arrow).

It also introduced me some difficulties. After having no 3D effects, I saw that I ran with compiz 0.7.2 instead of 0.7.8. Installing the new package and removing the old one manually solved all the problems.

So is there a way to replace the old packages with the new ones automatically? What went wrong?

Thanks!

Have you got your urpmi repositories set up? If you've set up for all of them, then do:

urpmi --auto-select

and if they are a later version than the ones installed, it should upgrade them. I had no problems upgrading from 2008.1 to 2009.0 using urpmi rather than CD/DVD upgrade.

Thanks. I think the repos were configured correctly, because I could see the new packages from the MCC. It just wouldn't install them.

The weirdest thing: When I followed your advice and ran 'urpmi' from the command line, it found 384 packages to install! So it's now running in the background, and I hope I won't bump into new problems. But still, I don't get it: what's the difference if I'm running from the CLI or the GUI? Shouldn't it be the same? And what went wrong with the original installation?

I'll update when the installation is over.

I think sometimes the gui app was only applying updates - rather than doing the whole system. At least, this is what I gathered from adamw when I was asking about the update flag within the gui application. If the gui flag was only selected for main updates and contrib updates - this would explain why the gui application didn't update your system correctly.

Usually, the best way is via the command line.

ian: no, that's not it, the upgrade procedure is a special case, it doesn't follow the update repository rules. It's just that there were some bugs in the initial release of the in-line update feature that could lead to problems like this (incomplete upgrades) - usually disk space or mirror issues. See my announcement thread about it in the official forums.