9.2 Beta 2 now out

Guest anon

nope, after a certain point (usually the next version) updates to previous versions are only security related (and maybe some bugfixes-rarely full version updates-like 2.2 to 2.4 in gnome for example). eventually they stop supporting them. plus a lot of the tools get updated and they won't be updated in previous releases (like mandrakes tools).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is the key phrase here

or other rpm repositories?
why not tyme? Why can't someone on 8.2 tell MU to use the 9.1 update mirror? Have you tried it? Anyone? I don't think MU is that smart. It just reads rpms rt? No? Granted going from an up to date 8.2 to 9.1 is like an apt-get dist-upgrade, but that's what urpmi (which rpmdrake is a frontend of)attempts to be rt?

*looks for 8.1 cd's to test with*....j/k....hehehe, well if I was dsl I would but I'm dialup :twisted:

Just don't call it and update source. Like I have cooker as a source, urpmi uses it. What the diff? No it's not a security update really, but it'll keep you up to date pkg wise. In other words, you just won't be clicking Mandrake Update anymore.

i missed that key phrase.

it may be possible, but it may require updating some stuff that can be very tempermental (glibc?) and so just getting the new version might be the safer bet.

so sum it up, i wouldn't do it...but it could be possible...

As for the argument on upgrading not far back, i've never had a problem upgrading any OS. Maybe i've been lucky? The upgrades include 9-9.1 a few times, and some Windex ones.

As for me, i have now

/dev/hda6 2.0G 1.6G 388M 80% /

/dev/hda1 2.0G 745M 1.1G 40% /home

/dev/hda5 894M 664M 185M 79% /home/james/music

/dev/hda7 945M 17M 881M 2% /mnt/windows

As for the mnt/windows, it isn't windows, just an empty Ext3 partition I haven't decided on a use for it yet

James

Concerning upgrades and betas-

I have found that, at least with betas, programs have been compiled against different or upgraded libraries. In order to use some programs, the libs must also be upgraded, which have also been compiled against different progs, which must be upgraded, which also.......... see a pattern?

Not always, but frequently upgrading to betas is a sure way to break something. I have used some cooker files, but again, the first time I get a list of my entire system to "uninstall in order to install", I stop! The betas wil eventually work, but a cohesive distro is only done later with the rc stages. The betas are too focused on specific areas. They worry about the harmony of the entire distro later.

Concerning upgrades and betas-

I have found that, at least with betas, programs have been compiled against different or upgraded libraries. In order to use some programs, the libs must also be upgraded, which have also been compiled against different progs, which must be upgraded, which also.......... see a pattern?

Not always, but frequently upgrading to betas is a sure way to break something. I have used some cooker files, but again, the first time I get a list of my entire system to "uninstall in order to install", I stop! The betas wil eventually work, but a cohesive distro is only done later with the rc stages. The betas are too focused on specific areas. They worry about the harmony of the entire distro later.

You must be right. That means:

1) upgrades is complicate to implement,

2) difficult to test and only tested on rc releases.

Not surprising it does not work well (yet).

Hey rc testers ! don't _install_ rc, _upgrade_ to it !

roland