9.2 Beta 2 now out

Guest anon

question.........

now that my MDK9.1 is running pretty much flawlessly, if i should want to test drive this 9.2 beta, or when it's "final" & i want to install it, can you use the "upgrade" feature without it whacking my currently installed 9.1? i mean, i'm still new at this, & even though i've come a long way in these past 2 months, i really don't relish the thought of having to do a fresh install & retweaking things, downloading & installing things again, etc. what does an "upgrade" do? does it leave your /home & /usr directories alone & just update /root & various libraries? do you have to reconfigure hardware, or does it use you current settings? (ex: does it automatically supermount your drives so that you have to dick around with disabling that?) sorry if this question sounds naive, but before i try this beta, or even the final release, i'd like to have an idea of what to expect.

thanks,

Chris

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First question.....Did anyone else have trouble getting the third cd? I did and could not get it. Download would go to 99% and stay there. (Throught the links I found to download from here) The link for distrowatch.com I got a "forbidden" page. I still go the beta installed, just not the third cd.
I had no problems getting it, try again from a different server. (i like carroll.cac.psu.edu)

Second question....Gaim, I don't see it, is it just that I didn't get the third cd or is it not in the beta. I got the rpm for it and tried to install, but I could not. I was missing some lib's and perl. ( I think, remember Im still new. LOL)
GAIM is in the beta (not sure what CD) but there is a problem with it, even if you have all the libs installed it still complains about perl-base [==5.8.0] or something to that effect. I ended up doing a rpm -ivh --nodeps to install it (But make sure you have all the other libs installed, so that the only error you get is about the perl-base)

Third.. When I used RH I used synaptic to update, is MCC like that? I did have 9.1 for a short while and when I tried to update it kept basically telling me my version was up to date, even though I knew it wasn't. Gaim 0.66 for instance wasn't installed, it was a older version. Guess what I am trying to say is there something that I was doing wrong, or in the right spot. ( I was in MCC, software, Mandrake update)

Mandrake Update: Mandrake Control Center->Software Management->Software Updates although you probably won't find any updates for the beta's.

Oh and I always have to use root to log into MCC, isn't that normal?
Technically you should be able to start MCC as a normal user, and then it prompts for your root password, you enter it and off you go. The problem I am having is that if I start MCC (command line or from an icon) as my regular user, after the prompt for the root password, the program appears to go into an infinite loop and it eats up CPU. However, if I start it as root (from a console-as I don't login as root) it works fine.

chris z: generally the upgrade option has been a fluke. doesn't work well, and we usually suggest against it here on the board. i've had no problems with it (except beta 1 where it didn't work at all!), but for most others it's been a real pain in the butt.

A warning to all newbies trying out the beta's

I don't won't to dull your excitement for these new beta's, but please remember they are for testing purposes only. Bugs or faults found should be reported back to Mandrake. This is why they release beta's or RC's.

Please remember also, that while your install of beta 1, or beta 2 may have been flawless, don't think that things can only get better, they usually get worse before the final release.

Apps (or the install itself) may work in say, beta 2, but may fail in beta 4 or RC1. This is typical behavior for beta's and RC's leading up to the final release.

So many time i have read users saying things like ( beta 3 was perfect ! can't wait for RC1" only to find that RC1 was their worse nightmare..

So, test out the beta's and have fun, report the bugs you find. But remember the next beta release could be worse than the last in some respects. And don't install a beta version at all, if you use your computer for mission critical work.

The above comments are based on my own and others experiences.

Do i run the beta's ?? Im always one step ahead of them running cooker, but i install on a seperate drive.

question.........

now that my MDK9.1 is running pretty much flawlessly, if i should want to test drive this 9.2 beta, or when it's "final" & i want to install it, can you use the "upgrade" feature without it whacking my currently installed 9.1? i mean, i'm still new at this, & even though i've come a long way in these past 2 months, i really don't relish the thought of having to do a fresh install & retweaking things, downloading & installing things again, etc. what does an "upgrade" do? does it leave your /home & /usr directories alone & just update /root & various libraries? do you have to reconfigure hardware, or does it use you current settings? (ex: does it automatically supermount your drives so that you have to dick around with disabling that?)  sorry if this question sounds naive, but before i try this beta, or even the final release, i'd like to have an idea of what to expect.

thanks,

Chris

You know, having only used linux for about 2 years now, I've been so nervous to even try it. I always go for a clean install because
  • But seeing as I can't really answer your questions you made me realize - maybe I should try it because my lack of faith in something like this NOT working comes from all my M$ experience, not any of my linux experience! I know that the upgrade at least leaves /home alone, meaning all your bookmarks, menus, settings for apps, etc remain the same... the rest? <shrug> Anyone?

I never upgrade; I always do afresh install, but I keep my /home intact and untouched.

Keep a back up copy of /etc/fstab in your /home directory. I also keep copies of my special programs, my saved games, and nvidia installer in /home. My first boot is to console, and not x, where I copy and install all my stuff. i reboot, and I'm done.

anon...

yeah, i realize that the beta's can be buggy. i think i'll stay away until the final comes out. thanks for the warning/disclaimer, though. :D

static brings up a good point, i think. what's the point of offering an upgrade, if everybody seems to scream "DON'T DO IT! YOU'LL HOSE THE SYSTEM OR IT WON'T WORK PROPERLY!" i mean (no offense meant here) but isn't MDK far enough into the game that if they offer an upgrade option, then it should work as an upgrade should & be safe to use? like i said, i may have only 2 months invested into MDK, but it's been a big learning curve in those 2 months. and (my bad :oops: ) even though i've learned a lot, there's things i've forgotten or can't do without "cheat sheets" & i don't think that when a new "final" version of MDK comes out that i should have to start from scratch with a fresh install. in all seriousness, i want to stay away from Window$. i'm accomplishing that. the only times i boot into Window$ anymore is to upgrade the anti virus or install MS security updates. :lol: BUT, when MDK9.2 comes out, i'm gonna take a deep breath & go for the upgrade. if it should hose my current install, or make me start from square 1 again, i honestly don't know if i'll keep trying to use MDK/Linux as my main OS. simply put, i have a job & a life & i can't afford, nor do i have enough free time, to keep playing with/starting over/fixing things on my computer on a daily basis. so, when the "final" release comes out, i'll hang a bit & see what you people think & report, & if i get a good vibe, i'll do it & hope for the best. i mean, an upgrade shouldn't be something to be afraid of, should it? and, i can't stick with MDK9.1 forever. do people still use Window$ 3.1? this probably has strayed a wee bit off topic, but any comments or thoughts on the "upgrade issue" would be appreciated.

Chris

the upgrade issue has been complained about and discussed to no end. everytime a new version comes out i swear there is atleast 50 people who complain about it on here, but there's nothing we can do, and maybe if the people who ran into problems would go report bugs to MDK the issue might get closer to being resolved (and no i'm not pointing fingers or picking on anyone, just blabbing).

hey tyme,

don't want to start a war or anything. i understand that bug reports are very important when developing/testing software. but, can you understand my point? i'm loving MDK/Linux for many reasons that probably have been covered before, so i won't go into them here. i'm learning tons.........still have tons to learn. it's frustrating at times (when i f**k things up, can't figure out what should be a simple problem, etc...)......immensely enjoyable other times (when i fix something on my own, figure out something on my own, help somebody here, etc...). but, i also can't be left in the dust & stick with a software version that's several revisions old just because i have to worry about losing everything. wherein lies my dilema......do i do an upgrade where my system can become too unstable to use effectively, where i need to spend endless hours fixing things because of an upgrade, or (worse case) that my system gets hosed (Window$ too)? then that's too much of a risk to take, IMHO. i have years of tweaks on my Window$ partition that would be mind numbing to even try to redo. i have 2 months of tweaks on my MDK partition that (for a still NOObie like me) would also be mind numbing to redo. so, what do i do? well, i'm a bit of a risk taker, so like i said, i'll lay low & see what kind of reports come in, then make the leap when i feel i'm ready. hopefully i'll land on both feet with only minor scrapes & bruises. :D gotta get back to work now. thanks for your comments, though.

Chris

PS: do you think it might be a good idea to start a forum section for MDK9.2 all on it's own? you know, where all the talk can be about 9.2 specifically? that way, everybody knows where to go for the latest info, bugs, reports, etc. about the newest MDK verisons. just a thought.........

the other thing, chris, is besides wanting to be bleeding edge (like me) (because that's part of the fun of OSS - open source software, but also we're in the fastest devel times any software has ever seen) is there any reason to change your mandrake at all? There are still people using freakin' 8.2 on here! If it ain't broke... I like to stay up-to-date, but part of that even comes from the ol' m$ sucks so bad gotta always upgrade attitude. Is there something in 9.2 that you or I really want/need so bad? If not...

Is there something in 9.2 that you or I really want/need so bad?

static,

that's what i don't know.........& what i want to know! :D i mean, why put out an upgrade/new version of something if it doesn't mean there will be improvements, perhaps significant improvements. latest kernel, latest wm's, newer better software packages, etc., etc. if 9.2 is bigger, badder, & better than 9.1, then i want in! i just don't want to have to be afraid, or see the need to be afraid, that the "upgrade" won't do anything but just that......"upgrade", without causing me any other problems. i mean, if the "upgrade" option is so much of a headache to people, why does MDK even offer that option? why don't they just put out a new version with an "install" option only? or at least with a strong disclaimer that by choosing "upgrade", you are taking the chance of losing everything, so proceed at your own risk. i love Linux.....love MDK.....love what i've accomplished in this short time i've been using it & love the things Linux can do vs. MS. again, don't want to start a war or the great debate. i was just asking a question. i guess i'm getting some answers, though, huh? :roll:

Chris

9.2 is a "point" upgrade to 9.1 . Its not a major release. Yes it uses a newer kernel and has some minor improvements and bug fixes. But thats all.

If you want a major increase in speed and performance, wait till the 2.6 kernel stable is released. Its fast!!!

There's little point in upgrading unless you have a problem with some device, which the upgrade might fix.

As far as upgrading or new install goes, upgrade works for some people but not others, ( i know it should work for everyone, but it doesn't) it depends on your setup, age of computer etc. There's no straight forward answer. Go with your gut feeling, you might be lucky :)

Any os has issues with an upgrade. That is not a unique problem at all. When microblast went to 95, the uproar was astounding. No bad pr, no body cared. Same thing happened with each "change" in their os. When I went to xppro, my stinking winscanner wouldn't work. The manufacturer said they were sorry, and offered me a slight discount on a new scanner!! So, upgrading a tuned system is just simply work.

The real question is why, if you don't want to do the work. I stayed up part of the night on Tuesday just to burn and load a beta! I'm insane, but I like to play. What I'm saying is the upgrade concept is the problem. A Mandrake system with all "factory" rpm's will upgrade. Mine won't.

ok, ok......no mas! no mas! (or at least move this to a thread of it's own!) :D

basically, i was just curious about the upgrade thing, being the NOOb that i am. i'm sorta like Ixthusdan said.....i've stayed up way past my bed time, many times, trying to fix something or get something to work because of an upgrade to a perfectly fine working piece of software that i probably didn't really need to do. i just hear all this talk of MDK9.2 & get excited & want to jump on the bandwagon. i guess i'll crawl on the bandwagon, instead. what i was hoping for in the upgrade was a faster boot time with a new kernel, some snappier response times when i run certain progs, (my lack of speed in some areas has a lot to do with the age of my system, i know. there's no way of getting around that without a new computer, but i was hoping for at least a little performance increase.) maybe some new usefull bells & whistles, some software upgrades without having to go get them individually & install them manually, etc. i really appreciate all the input to my harmless, little question. :twisted: be prepared to hear me scream when i finally do take the 9.2 plunge. now, will it be a scream of elation or horror???.........that is the question. :shock:

(also, thanks for making me waste valuable company time while i sit here typing response, after response. i thank you, my boss thanks, my paycheck thanks you. it was a nice diversion to this otherwise dull day. but, at least it's Friday!!! 2 hours 'til gin time! WOOOHOOO!!!) :lol:

Chris

Heres a stupid observation, doesn't keeping your current version updated through MCC and the softwae upgrade in a sense keep you up to date? Guess what I am saying is the peeps that have 8.2 running the same software and packages as I am with 9.1 because of the MCC update service or other rpm repositories?

FX