9.2 Beta 2 now out

Guest anon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always pick two packages for installation: pysol and Midnight Commander. Beta 1 bombed on individual selection, and I couldn't even get it on my network. Beta 2 went smooth, added the depends when I selected the packages, and configured my network just fine. I made some minor picky notes about the install, like instructions to press "forward" when the only choice is to press "next", but it went smooth. I also had to select the sources, despite the fact I installed the dev package. But nvidia compiled without a hiccup, so it all went nice.

Yeah, this sources thing is strange; I have opened a bugreport at the time, no one has done anything since, but in any case the bug seems to remain: even if you select development system, you have to explicitly install the kernel-source, or do it later with urpmi.

Anyway, keep up the beta testing!

(I will join you in the rc stadium, I really don't have much time..)

Actually, I think it started with 8.2, the sources not installing with the devel package. Really, you can't develop without the sources, so it doesn't make sense.

Actually, I think it started with 8.2, the sources not installing with the devel package. Really, you can't develop without the sources, so it doesn't make sense.
you're right, it doesn't...they should atleast explain it, if people are complaining about it.

they should atleast explain it, if people are complaining about it.
what does people complaining about it have to do with a need for an explanation when the explaination should be obvious.....you're using a beta...and we're busy, busy, busy, but thank you for the bug reports! :wink:

Ummm...

The sources don't install in the regular distro unless you specifically pick them. the point is that even when choosing the development package in the regular distro, you must add the sources or they will not load! Perhaps they only do it to the download version, a sort of microsftesque deletion? So, it's not a bug, it's meant to be that way.

The sources don't install in the regular distro unless you specifically pick them. the point is that even when choosing the development package in the regular distro, you must add the sources or they will not load! Perhaps they only do it to the download version, a sort of microsftesque deletion? So, it's not a bug, it's meant to be that way.
Exactly

Safety, or for the sake of getting through the install, are the reasons since the kernel-source is 150MB and disk space may be an issue with a new user not knowing this, or knowing what they're doing it has to specifically be sellected. Not to mention this has always been the case for me :roll: :wink:

Ok forgive my ignorance with some of these questions, as I am still real new at Linux, been using Red Hat 9 and trying to learn Mandrake cause I want to switch. Anyways I hosed my RH on the laptop and installed the beta 2, and having fun. Firts time using a beta anything to. :D

First question.....Did anyone else have trouble getting the third cd? I did and could not get it. Download would go to 99% and stay there. (Throught the links I found to download from here) The link for distrowatch.com I got a "forbidden" page. I still go the beta installed, just not the third cd.

Second question....Gaim, I don't see it, is it just that I didn't get the third cd or is it not in the beta. I got the rpm for it and tried to install, but I could not. I was missing some lib's and perl. ( I think, remember Im still new. LOL)

Third.. When I used RH I used synaptic to update, is MCC like that? I did have 9.1 for a short while and when I tried to update it kept basically telling me my version was up to date, even though I knew it wasn't. Gaim 0.66 for instance wasn't installed, it was a older version. Guess what I am trying to say is there something that I was doing wrong, or in the right spot. ( I was in MCC, software, Mandrake update)

Oh and I always have to use root to log into MCC, isn't that normal?

FX