BIG problems with MandrakeSoft deliveries

Guest cncs

Guest JaseP

I tried it, but I really think I'm going to try going with SuSE,... in the end it will be less hassle for me if I ever try to get new copies of their distro.

I had wanted Mandrake 9.1, but my first Distro was SuSE 6.1, and it only makes sense to give them a shot again.

I got SuSE 8.2 now from BestBuy,... I'll be checking it out later this afternoon/evening to see about migration from Mandrake 8.2...

I like the idea of having a distro that I can pick up at a store if there is an update. SuSE 8.2 also comes with the 2 DVD AND the 5 CDs in one package (8.2 Professional that is).

Like I said, I used to use SuSE 6.1 back in 1998 for a while, but didn't have a modem to use with it, and so I never migrated to it fully. I regret that now as I would be way ahead of the curve in terms of my Linux knowledge than I am now.

I tried a demo of suse once that would only run off of the cd. I noticed that suse personal edition is $39.00 no matter where it is sold. Cheapbytes only carries the professional edition, which is $79.00, everywhwere. While their pricing is obviously controlled by them, it sure beats the windex stuff! And suse is a viable business marketing their product. I wish I could say the same for mandrake. :cry:

Well,

I am now writing this from SuSE Linux 8.2, having converted all my desktop settings over...

I need to fix a few things yet (like a partial install that tries to keep renewing itself everytime I boot, only to abort and give me the KDE login screen). However, it's very nice.

I'm sticking around. It's just specfic Mandrake tools that I won't be able to comment on any longer. But KDE is KDE, Gnome is Gnome, and Linux is Linux. The variations aren't as great as the similarities...