Mandriva Control Center is not working!

dude67

After installing (new installation - not upgrade) MDV2009.0 the new MCC does not work properly. I have set the sources from easy-urpmi and they should all be fine.

1) Installing new software packages. MCC crashes shortly, when clicked "Install & Remove Software".

2) Updating packages. MCC crashes also when choosing "update your system"

3) Configure media sources... MCC crashes again when I choose e.g. "Edit" for one of the medias.

OK, when I choose "Install & Remove Software" from the K-menu or type "rpmdrake" in konsole, everything works just fine. Also, if I add media through Konsole everything works great. But the problem occurs if I start MCC either from the Konsole or from the K-menu.

So what's wrong with MCC? Here's the printout from the Konsole from the start until the "Update Your System" closes itself.

[dude67@localhost ~]$ mcc																					   
 [dude67@localhost ~]$ "/usr/sbin/drakvirt" is not executable [Virtualization] at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 779.
 [dude67@localhost ~]$ getting lock on urpmi																	   
 using mirror ftp://ftp.aso.ee/pub/Mandrake/official/2009.0/i586												
 retrieved http://api.mandriva.com/mirrors/basic.2009.0.i586.list media/contrib/updates media_info/MD5SUM			  
 comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Contrib Updates/MD5SUM								   
 medium "Contrib Updates" is up-to-date																				
 retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/main/updates media_info/MD5SUM															
 comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Main Updates (Official2009.0-2)/MD5SUM				   
 retrieving source synthesis of "Main Updates (Official2009.0-2)"...												   
 ...retrieving failed: aria2 failed: exited with 1																	 
 problem reading synthesis file of medium "Main Updates (Official2009.0-2)"											
 retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/contrib/updates media_info/MD5SUM														 
 comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Contrib Updates (Official2009.0-10)/MD5SUM			   
 retrieving source synthesis of "Contrib Updates (Official2009.0-10)"...											   
 retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/contrib/updates media_info/20081014-095538-synthesis.hdlist.cz
 computing md5sum of retrieved source synthesis
 updated medium "Contrib Updates (Official2009.0-10)"
 retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/main/updates media_info/MD5SUM
 comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Main Updates (Official2009.0-25)/MD5SUM
 retrieving source synthesis of "Main Updates (Official2009.0-25)"...
 ...retrieving failed: aria2 failed: exited with 1
 problem reading synthesis file of medium "Main Updates (Official2009.0-25)"
 retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/contrib/updates media_info/MD5SUM
 comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Contrib Updates (Official2009.0-26)/MD5SUM
 medium "Contrib Updates (Official2009.0-26)" is up-to-date
 retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/non-free/updates media_info/MD5SUM
 comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Non-free Updates (Official2009.0-27)/MD5SUM
 retrieving source synthesis of "Non-free Updates (Official2009.0-27)"...
 retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/non-free/updates media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz
 computing md5sum of retrieved source synthesis
 retrieval of [ftp://ftp.aso.ee/pub/Mandrake/official/2009.0/i586/media/non-free/updates/media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz] failed (md5sum mismatch)
 problem reading synthesis file of medium "Non-free Updates (Official2009.0-27)"
 using mirror ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/cfg/2009.0/i586
 retrieved http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/2009.0.i586.list media/../../../../2009.0/free/release/binary/i586 media_info/MD5SUM
 comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/PLF Free/MD5SUM
 medium "PLF Free" is up-to-date
 retrieved http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/2009.0.i586.list media/../../../../2009.0/non-free/release/binary/i586 media_info/MD5SUM
 comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/PLF Non-free/MD5SUM
 medium "PLF Non-free" is up-to-date
 No protocol specified
 E: client-conf-x11.c: XOpenDisplay() failed
 ALSA lib pulse.c:266:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

unlocking urpmi database
 getting lock on urpmi
 using mirror ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/cfg/2009.0/i586
 examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Contrib Updates/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
 examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Main Updates (Official2009.0-2)/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
 examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Contrib Updates (Official2009.0-10)/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
 examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Main Updates (Official2009.0-25)/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
 examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Contrib Updates (Official2009.0-26)/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
 examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Non-free Updates (Official2009.0-27)/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
 examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/PLF Free/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
 examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/PLF Non-free/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
 unlocking urpmi database
 No protocol specified
 E: client-conf-x11.c: XOpenDisplay() failed
 ALSA lib pulse.c:266:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

[dude67@localhost ~]$

It seems that PulseAudio is trying to playback an error message, and instead of playing it it crashes mcc... at least, this is what I get from the above.

Simply get rid of that bugger- IMHO using it as the main Mandriva audio server (Fedora and *buntu alike) was a BIG mistake... This bloody thing is buggy and unstable- end of story. Maybe after 1-2 years, or whenever it becomes stable- but ATM it's pure crap, and that is that.

And other than that, a single glance at the MDV 2009 errata will reveal you that it's something resembling more a beta than a stable release. Surely enough most issues will be resolved within the next few weeks, but ATM the best place to report such issues is the Mandriva bugtracker.

Edited by scarecrow

Simply get rid of that bugger- IMHO using it as the main Mandriva audio server (Fedora and *buntu alike) was a BIG mistake... This bloody thing is buggy and unstable- end of story. Maybe after 1-2 years, or whenever it becomes stable- but ATM it's pure crap, and that is that.

Works very well in Fedora, without a hitch for me, maybe not so buggy as you make out!

tyme: actually, if you want modern, maintained sound servers - basically one, Pulse. Plus Jack, which can work together with Pulse and is more for high-end audio applications than general desktop use. But Pulse has finally killed off arts and esound and the other pretenders. We are getting closer to having a vaguely rational audio stack, which has never happened before.

We are getting closer to having a vaguely rational audio stack, which has never happened before.
I hope so. I've seen so many sound server issues crop up over the years - I remember the days when the answer to 50% of audio problems was "disable arts" :wall: