Very simple question about KDE4

mindwave

I just upgraded the wides pc to 2009 stable.

everything seems to be going fine.

I DID install kde3.5 because its what shes used to, however she is growing accustomed to KDE4.

her question to me, which i now pass to all of you.

Smack dab in the middle of the screen is what appears to be a "ghost" of a desktop.

she's running at 1024x768 and this ghost is probaby 640x480 and, for example, you download an RPM and SAVE it instead of doing a direct install, it SAVES to the GHOST as opposed to the HOME folder like it used to.

if you hover you mouse you will see a light "toolbar" running down the side and if the "ghost" is empty and you choose the (to close or delete the ghost) the "desktop " chrashes and you geta terminate message from MDV.

She has asked me about it, and although I have done some "light" reading about KDE4 and some of its changes I havent seen this exact item addressed, or I just missed it.

in guessing about it, I would say that its a new type of 'desktop' that is plasmoid driven, and that if you kill IT you are killing part of your desktop in your windows manager?

anyone have a better explanation?

I hate guessing and she hates not knowing

thanks

j

a bug...it s just a bug, I always close the folderview right, it annoys me because it makes the desktop look to messy;

you cant have files directly on the desktop in kde4 instead you need this folderview widget, which can be used to show arbitrary folders contect on the desktop (which sounds like a good idea on paper but works badly in practive for me at least)

Edited by ffi

Or just right-click in a blank space inside it and select "Remove this folder view". Once it has gone it won't come back, unless you want it to.

Jim

excellent, i'll give that a try.

like i said when the 'tools ' pop up and i choose the x everything crashes

didnt notice the other option, now i need to go look for it