Upgrading to 2009 from the automatic update

yossarian

[i have this beef with Software Installer: If you download a package that requires several files, then fail on downloading one of the files - on retry you have to download from the beginning again.]
I'm not sure how to do this via the GUI, but if you use urpmi through the command line --no-clean will keep it from cleaning out the cache. This way, it will store the rpm's that get downloaded for the session (in case you lose connection). Although, I thought urpmi only cleans up after a successful install. Edited by tyme

True, I had this a few weeks ago, I'd used urpmi to install one package and its dependencies (without any special options, just urpmi <package>). It successfully downloaded the big one but failed on one of the smaller ones. When I ran exactly the same command again later, it only had to download the little ones, as the ones which had already been downloaded (but not yet installed) were waiting in /var/cache/urpmi .

My most recent experience with this is when I was running off the 2009.0 One CD and was trying to install Opera. I had downloaded the 8.5 MB rpm from Opera and when I right-clicked on it to install, there were two dependancies that were needed, qt3-common and libqt3. The mirrors weren't working too well yet. qt3-common downloaded fine, but libqt3 did not. Everytime I tried to restart this, it always redownloaded qt3-common and failed on libqt3. Frustrated after a couple of hours, I manually downloaded libqt3 from a mirror and installed it by itself. Next I chose to install Opera again, and again it downloaded qt3-common, then proceded with installing both packages.