Upgrading to 2009 from the automatic update

yossarian

So I got the blue arrow notifying me that 2009 is available and ready for installation. Did anyone try it? Does it work? In previous versions I had problems upgrading, so I thought to upgrade from the Free CD's. Which is safer?

Can't wait till the files will hit the local servers... B)

Thanks!

It worked for me. It did take a long time, so I went to bed before it finished. This morning I did have to fix the nvidia-driver, because for some reason I had two different versions of kernel module and driver, but uninstalling all nvidia stuff and then reinstalling it via 'set up the graphical server' in the hardware configuration menu did the trick. And so far everything else seems to work.

So as far as I'm concerned: congratulations mandriva on a good job. Easiest update/upgrade ever. The new splash screen looks as if xorg is malfunctioning though.

derxen

Some people have had problems; I've not got it pinned down yet but I'm fairly sure you can get a problem either if you don't have enough disk space (you need plenty of space on at least the partitions containing /usr and /var) or if the mirror used for the upgrade is overly busy (resulting in some packages not being downloadable and hence a partial upgrade). In either case you'd wind up with half the packages updated and half not. You can usually resolve this by booting the semi-upgraded system, logging in at a console, and running 'urpmi --auto-update -v'. Mostly it seems to be working for people, though.

Here's what I've experienced so far:

Updating from 2008.1 to 2009.0 using the new sources works well but: only with the old kernel (2.6.24 series)!

When trying the new 2.6.27.x kernel, the machine hangs early in the boot process, shortly after entering interactive stage.

The root fs is mounted in r/w mode fine, but afterwards there's some errors:

"Failed to open /dev/hdc2"

"Failed to open /dev/hdc6"

"Failed to open /dev/hdc5"

This is where /home, /tmp and /usr reside here, and I'm left to enter root pw for maintenance.

A short glance at /etc/fstab shows the first two lines contain no valid entries now, but error messages from /etc/termcap.

So ...?

Thank you everyone. Taking into account all your answers and wanting to minimize the risk and troublesome, I decided to upgrade from the CD's.

I have another question: I saw in the mirrors there are 3 CD's: free-cd1, free-cd2 and free-dual (in previous versions there used to be CD1, CD2 and CD3). So do I need the free-dual CD?

I clicked on the blue arrow to see if it would let me switch it off (it seems like it will now nag me on every boot! :o) but then pressed cancel. As if by magic, it then immediately gave me a congratulations message!

post-10937-1223929994_thumb.png

And it even spelt "successful" wrongly! Woohoo, way to go Mandriva! :thumbs:

I tried the update/upgrade via command line, and all seemed to go quickly without problems, until I rebooted. Then it locked up at the login screen. I have mine set for a timed login. The proscribed time elapsed, and the screen went black for a second, and returned to the splash and a curser with the dots running around it. I just left it, and 45 minutes later, that's where it was. So, I rebooted and logged in as root, with the same results.

Prudently, I had a complete backup of the system on another partition, so I made free electrons of 2009, and restored my system to 2008.1.

I still get the annoying blue arrow, but it's easy enough to make that go away. I'll just wait a month or so and let some of the bugs get worked out, before I try it again.

P.S. It always helps to keep a good back up. It always helps to keep a good back up. I repeat; it always helps to keep a good backup.

owa

if the mirror used for the upgrade is overly busy (resulting in some packages not being downloadable and hence a partial upgrade).
I don't know if you guys at Mandriva considered this (it seems a bit obvious to me), but couldn't this issue be easily avoided if, when doing an upgrade like this (or heck, even a big update - say a new DE version), Mandriva would crap out if any files don't get downloaded? Maybe give the user some feedback and a question on whether or not to continue? Or does it already do that and this is another issue?

(don't mean to offend - if it works this way, or if you guys already thought about it, my bad! :) )

Edited by tyme

If the issue is that the mirrors are too busy, or one's internet connection drops out for any reason, then it seems to me the only safe way to upgrade would be to ensure there is sufficient disk space to store all the rpm downloads for the upgrade, before actually installing them. If one loses a connection, then on reconnect the download should resume where it left off. [i have this beef with Software Installer: If you download a package that requires several files, then fail on downloading one of the files - on retry you have to download from the beginning again.]

Of course there would have to be additional disk space available for the actual upgrade installation process. After the install is complete, a post-clean could be performed to free up disk space.

Requiring the above would require more free disk space at the outset, but the outcome would be more certain.

At any rate, I feel that offering an upgrade to the next Mandriva version via mdkonline is a bad idea. I would rather see a task-upgrade available in Software Installer for those that would want to do this.