Sound Card problems

Guest olunic

When you syaing Mandrake isn't detecting what exactly do you mean? Is it on the hardware list but not configured properly or not on the hardware list at all.

To check this go into Mandrake Control Centre and select the hardware tab. There should a button labled harddrake or hardware list (or similar). This opens up a windows listing all the hardware that Mandrake knows about in your system. Have a rummage in the tree to see if your card is listed, and remember the name may not be exactly the same. If its there click the configure button in the right hand plane aand hopefully that should get it going.

if what mtweidmann described doesn't work for you, try the following:

open a terminal->su to root->type "sndconfig" (without the " ")->hit enter.

follow the prompts & let it detect your soundcard. it takes a little while & may seem to hang at points, but just let it do it's thing. i had the same problem with my soundcard after installing MDK & that's what did the trick for me.

Chris

Right in that case you have a more tricky problem. It would seem that for some reason Linux doesn't know your card exsists at all. So firstly take a look in /var/log/ and there should be a file called system.log or sys.log (can't remember exact name). Browse through it and check for error/warning messages. Post any that look promising.

We then need to make sure that your sound card is being detected by the computer. So re-boot your machine and pay close attention to BIOS screens (the bit before the OS starts booting). On must machines the BIOS will flash up a list of the detected devices (PCI, ISA, AGP, etc..) Check that your card is listed (probably called something like audio device, DSP, or multimedia).

If its not check that the card is installed properly. It should sit firmly in its slot, not half in or loose. Also check the contacts for dirt, dust, etc... Then check your BIOS settings, make sure nothing is obviously wrong there.

olunic & tyme.......

i have the very same integrated soundcard in my system. i had headaches with it at first, but the sndconfig method finally got mine working fine. a few additional notes......

(forgive me some incomplete instructions, but i'm at work & not at my Linux machine.........if you want, i can give you my exact settings for things tonight when i get home)

when i installed MDK, at one of the last installation screens, you have an opportunity to set configurations for all hardware if you don't think it was set right or if it tells you it wasn't configured (modem, internet, monitor, SOUND, etc....) when i was at that stage, it told me that my sound card wasn't found. i ran the sound card set up, & it told me that it still couldn't find the sound card & i had to run "sndconfig" once i was in MDK. so, i did that (as i described a few posts up) & it was working. still, there was some other fine tuning i needed to do. i needed to go into KDE control center->multimedia (i think that's what it's called......again, not at my Linux machine)->sound. in there, you can change settings around. one of the things i needed to change to get better sound quality was set the mhz frequency to 48,000. also note, don't try to find your sound card in KCC under information->sound, 'cause it still won't show the sound card there, even though it's operational. another note........ before i did all this, i tried to configure the soundcard in MCC->hardware (as tyme said to do), but i still got the message that i needed to run sndconfig in terminal. one final thing i had to do, was, run KMix & set the volume level in there->save. then, finally, to make the volume setting hold that level at each boot, i needed to run AUMix & set those volume levels & save it. i now have the KMix volume control load during boot, so it runs in the tray & i can adjust volume with the slider as neccessary. and, i am using the ALSA sound system, not OSS. hope that made sense & it helps. again, if you want to know my extact settings, let me know & i'll post the info here tonight when i'm home.

Chris

Guest olunic

Chris you can send me the complete instructions. I tried running sndconfig but I can't find it and when I use the run command, it says that the programme was not found. Tyme, it is a OPL3sax. Mtweidmann, it works fine in windows so the system is detecting.

olunic,

i just checked. i have a Crystal PNP integrated sound card. Mandrake is detecting it as Yamaha OPL3-FM. it's loading sound device Crystal CS4236 when i boot. how i got it working was exactly how i described it above. do you have the sndconfig package installed? (shouldn't that be automatically installed???) when you say you can't find it, what do you mean? you must open a terminal->su to root->type sndconfig. a very basic looking program will run & ask you permission to try to detect a soundcard (device). it will scan things for a while, then give results & ask if it's ok to use the sound device it found. after that, there's a button you can click to test if sound is working. please don't be offended by this, 'cause i'm still a NOObie & still screw things up, but......i see in another post that you are having other major problems due to your install. if things are buggered up too much, might i suggest (since you're not too deep into things yet) a fresh install. if you should go that route, pay special attention the the final configuration settings screen near the end of the install. if anything isn't configured correctly, it will say so in red lettering. i'm not sure else what to suggest at this point. maybe somebody else can offer better advice. sorry :(

Chris

Do not do another install just yet. Let's work on it together. This is linux, not windex. I would suggest one step at a time, starting with the lilo/grub issue, and then we can proceed to the rest of your life!! :lol:

Guest olunic

I have a problem with certain things like the system log when it comes to permissions. Even though I have the root password it just telle me that I don't have sufficient privalages.

Guest olunic

I used sndconfig and got the sound installed. I had to get the sndconfig installed separately. Thanks you guys especially Chris. I now need to get my modem working in linux.

olunic,

glad to hear you got the sound working! :D i'll have to defer to somebody else on the modem issue. i have DSL, so i never had to deal with a dial up modem (if that's what you're using). if it is a DSL modem, then i can offer some assistance, but as mtweidmann said, you have to give some specifics about your hardware, ISP, etc. the more info you give, the easier it is to help. :wink:

Chris