soundblaster not blasting :(

linux_jester

I am running a duel Windows 98 and Mandrake 9.1 setup on a Gigabyte K7 Triton 400 (GA-7VA) mother board equiped with an onboard sound card and a PCI Creative labs Soundblaster 1024. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any sound through the SB Live 2024 under Mandrake 9.1 . I know the card is not at fault as it works fine under the Windows 98 OS. Looking in HardDrake I noticed two entries:

SB Live! (Audio)

VT 8233 [AC 97 Audio Controller]

So I assume that the installation has found both the onboard and PCI sound cards. Looking through some newsgroups I stumbled across the following command (and output from my machine) showing what the kernal has seen.

---

lspci -vv

00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 06)

Subsystem: Creative Labs CT4832 SBLive! Value

Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

Latency: 32 (500ns min, 5000ns max)

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19

Region 0: I/O ports at d400 [size=32]

Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:0b.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 06)

Subsystem: Creative Labs Gameport Joystick

Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

Latency: 32

Region 0: I/O ports at d800 [size=8]

Capabilities: <available only to root>

---

My modules.conf file below:

etc/modules.conf

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

alias sound-slot-1 snd-via82xx

above snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss

alias eth0 epic100

above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci ehci-hcd

alias /dev/ttySHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserial

alias char-major-240 hcfpciserial

alias /dev/cuaHCF[0-9]* hcfpciserial

alias char-major-241 hcfpciserial

alias /dev/modem hcfpciserial

options hcfpciserial serialmajor=240 calloutmajor=241 pcivendorid=0x127A pcideviceid=0x1005

I've also played around with AUMix and KMix without success. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can enable the sound on the PCI SB card?

Thanks for your help

As tyme has said, on-board sound must be completely disabled. My epox has two different areas in the bios that must be switched off in order to disable all aspects of the on-board ac97 audio. I think your board has the same bios that mine has.

• 2 months later...
Guest RylNalyevo

I had the same problem after installing Mdk9.1. I disabled my mobo sound everything works fine now. My question is this: which config files do I need to edit to remove all proof that the onboard sound ever existed, i.e. keep the system from searching for it during boot?

The simple answer is that you don't have to delete anything.

Just disable the onboard sound in the bios AND set the audio jumpers on the mainboard to disabled as the previous posters have advised. Booting up will no longer look for the onboard sound. Forget the way Windows does thing.

Cheers. John