Mandriva 2009 PWP printer wizard

Kavey

I'm trying to use the provided tools to do this, but when I use the printer wizard, I get the list of options, included is my USB HP 712C (listed as 710C) deskjet printer. I try to install it, it gives me a quick dialog about drivers, and then never proceeds. I've tried connecting to the HAL and USB printer options and neither result in an installed printer. Any other suggestions?

task-printing-server-2009.0-1mdv2009.0

task-printing-hp-2009.0-1mdv2009.0

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 2536, in on_btnChangePPD_clicked

self.newPrinterGUI.init("ppd")

File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 2889, in init

self.fillMakeList()

File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 4801, in fillMakeList

self.on_tvNPMakes_cursor_changed(self.tvNPMakes)

File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 4819, in on_tvNPMakes_cursor_changed

self.fillModelList()

File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 4839, in fillModelList

self.on_tvNPModels_cursor_changed(self.tvNPModels)

File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 4885, in on_tvNPModels_cursor_changed

self.fillDriverList(self.NPMake, pmodel)

File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 4848, in fillDriverList

self.NPDrivers = self.ppds.orderPPDNamesByPreference(ppds.keys())

File "/home/mandrake/rpm/tmp/system-config-printer-1.0.7-build/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cupshelpers/ppds.py", line 429, in orderPPDNamesByPreference

File "/home/mandrake/rpm/tmp/system-config-printer-1.0.7-build/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cupshelpers/ppds.py", line 407, in sort_ppdnames

File "/home/mandrake/rpm/tmp/system-config-printer-1.0.7-build/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cupshelpers/ppds.py", line 393, in is_C_locale

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xaa in position 52: unexpected code byte

Ran mcc from command line, and this was the output when attempting to change make/model/driver using the wizard.

I normally configure the printer by entering the following in your web browser url bar:

http://localhost:631

and then configure it through here. Works for me pretty much every time provided of course that the printer is supported.