Unbreakable Encryption Unveiled

ianw1974

Perfect secrecy has come a step closer with the launch of the world's first computer network protected by unbreakable quantum encryption at a scientific conference in Vienna.

The network connects six locations across Vienna and in the nearby town of St Poelten, using 200 km of standard commercial fibre optic cables.

Quantum cryptography is completely different from the kinds of security schemes used on computer networks today.

Read More

That would be the same with any encryption though - if you lose the key or can't remember your password, etc, to gain access, then you have no access to the encrypted data :)

Another way to think about it is this, None of OUR current encryption schemes is safe,

Think about it, if its a quantum computer it can crack the stuff we use in... what, nanoseconds?

Thankfully its not in the USA or good ole King George B would be using it on everyone.

:wall:

For now perhaps yes.

I don't have fibre channel and I don't think I'll ever have one. All new realistic internet providing technologies focus on using already existing cables like phone or power lines or not using wires at all.

So I say this one sounds good but nothing will come out of it for us.

You will find fibre being installed for the increased usage of bandwidth, if it's not already installed.

In France, Italy and Holland you can buy fibre direct to the Exchange. Maybe not all countries have it yet, maybe they might ever not. Maybe they will. Maybe one day you will ;)

The other thing is how you decipher what they said. They refer computer networks with commercial fibre. So, it might not necessarily mean in relation to your internet connection. So for us, yeah maybe it won't be for us - but for business. Either way, it's a long way off for it to become affordable for the mainstream anyhow.

tek: not really, there's still no practical general-purpose quantum computers around. It's a lot easier to build a special-purpose quantum encryption system (still bloody hard) than it is to build a general-purpose quantum computer powerful enough to crack existing encryption schemes.

And, haven't these people ever heard the phrase "hostage to fortune"? Sheesh.

In the U.S., some phone providers are starting to run fibre (Verizon has it's FiOS, for example) to the house - they use it not only for internet, but also for phone (it's a way to get into the VOIP market) and TV (to take on the big cable companies). Basically, telephone companies and cable companies are swallowing services whole (sorry, that was a bit of a tangent).

Edited by tyme

The UK is also wanting to do the same thing, but to replace the existing phone networks was going to cost some 15 billion of investment. This is why I think fibre will become more commonplace, but it depends on how they can recoup the costs. This is of course before even introducing encryption systems, let alone quantum ones :)

It can be an amazing technology and it can bring amazing speed but how much does it cost? AFAIK fibre is very expensive. What's the fastest I could get now? I think it's about 10 Mbit. I had 3 Mbit at one time and it was more than enough. So why would I want a fibre channel? Why would most of the people? To get 1 wire for TV, phone, internet etc ? Truth is I don't care how many wires they use to get me those services. They are already there and they are working well. I don't wanna pay more for the "one cable for all" solution. And I doubt most people want.

It can be an amazing technology and it can bring amazing speed but how much does it cost?
Verizon FiOS ranges from $42/mo. (10Mbps) to $140 (50Mbps). I'm currently paying $42/mo. for cable internet (12Mbps) - so prices are similar here. Unfortunately FiOS isn't available in my apartment complex.
To get 1 wire for TV, phone, internet etc ? Truth is I don't care how many wires they use to get me those services.
I don't care how many wires, but only having one bill (not to mention possible discounts of you combine all 3) is certainly nice.