gimp v/s photoshop

scoopy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GIMP can only do up to 24bit colour (jpg etc, gif as always is 8bit/256 colours).

How many people complain that jpg does not have enough colour depth? Get real. ;)

The earlier version of GIMP can only do 16bit RGB color, according to the GIMP User Manual (of which corresponds to GIMP 1.0, I suppose). I believe as you have said it, it now can process 24 bit RGB color. But could Photoshop do more than that? 32bit RGB color depth perhaps would be demanded by certain artists.

Photoshop can AFAIK process 48 bit images, such as those you get from scanners.

Xsane by the way can also scan into 48bit images, which then cannot be opened in the GIMP. Been there, tried that (just for kicks).

Never noticed any difference with 24bit, but I agree that for professionals, using many filters etc it is better (in some cases) to have the greater colour depth.

To anyone considering GIMP (due to not being able to afford PS) I think this greater colour depth (or the lacking of such) is the minor of their problems. They want a perfectly new Rolls-Royce for the price of a Golf. Not that that are PS and GIMP, just to indicate the mentality of those people. And in this world, a RR for the price of a Golf is only found in emails like those where you have to front 'only' 650US$ (NO!! 699$, see SCO!! ;) ) to liberate some millions from a Swiss bank account...

Guest dardack

don't know if someone posted this, but Disney is using Photoshop in Linux with Wine i think, they actually teamed up with two other studios to write the code and recontribute it. The gimp just wasn't good enough for what they had to do. For a simple guy like me, that as Dolson pointed out earlier, sucks at drawing and creating graphis, gimp is just fine.

DOlson, after they fix the icons and the exact placement and contents of the menus, people are probably going to bitch that it's free so it can't be any good...... lol

dardack, yes I already posted the quote that PS is what they need, and GIMP doesn't cut it. Please read the article, you will find that it is more about what the artists are used to than what GIMP could actually do for them.

I read an ad of AMD some time ago, where they were looking for designers.

It was mentioned that they are using such and so software for design/development, but were willing to acquire whatever license of whatever design package that the designer would wish to get the job done. Now that is big. I know what some packages cost (I'm an electronics designer, where I work a designers seat costs 35K USD per designer...) ... some / quite a few are at or above 100K USD.

So for Disney to get some licenses for good designers is not a big issue. It counts, somewhere it comes out of someones budget, but really it's not a big point. So they go the PS way, whereas with some more time for the designers to get used to and learn to work with the GIMP, I think it could be good enough for what most of them do.

For a home user, it is a big point, and in most cases they can make do with GIMP.

bvc,

no, that's not what I have installed at the moment. I dropped down to the version on the MDK 9.1 disks.

The tool icons look more like the one's from that other version I had installed, but I don't know if it was able to group the windows like that.

I am gonna try some upgrading tonight. May even get brave and try to compile the 1.3.17 version. I think its time for me to get serious with the gimp.

If I end up hosing anything... I will hunt you down to fix things again :wink: :D

OK, I looked at the INSTALL file to compile 1.3.17 and I am not feeling that brave.

So I went looking for newer MDK RPMs and found 1.2.5 but, I get this:

# rpm -ivh gimp-1.2.5-3mdk.i586.rpm libgimp1.2-1.2.5-3mdk.i586.rpm

error: failed dependencies:

perl(File::Slurp)   is needed by gimp-1.2.5-3mdk

(couldn't find a rpm by this name)

What to do to fix this or any ideas where to find new RPMs?

You could check Cooker or something, for the dev version of Gimp... But other than that, I can't help you, unless you wanna try from source. :D

Might I point out again that in Debian Sid, you just type in apt-get install gimp1.3 gimp1.3-cbmplugs gimp1.3-nonfree gimp1.3-python. :D

I don't know we seem to have donea lot about cars lately.

I just don't think they are 100% comparable.

Like, hey my cherokee can do x,y,z but sucks up the gas and its a pain to find a parking space in a city .....whereas the VW does everything just as well except some off road stuff you hardly ever use.

Some people like farmers probably use the 4WD a lot and for them its not much contest but for the weekenders who wanna drive to extra 1/4 mile down the lakeside for a picknick its a trade-off. If they have plenty of money and no problem parking then why not but its a luxury not a need.

Some people need CMYK and different Panatone standards becuase that's the world they work in. It doesn't mean its the only way but their clients want the files that way. Others want to make a nice Avatar. (I'm not saying thats all)

So if you need photoshop like I need powerpoint at work (much as I hate to) then its cough up the cash time. But if your willing to comprimise a bit and learn something new you get GIMP for free.

I'm not going to lecture you on which one becuase for me that is a major strength of linux, the right to choose!

I think you might just need practice, perhaps you didn't make enough frames for the gradient transition ...I'm no big GIMP expert but Ive found the options are almost endless. 9/10 times there are not two but several ways to achieve a similar effect and one looks better.

I tend to suck and see but I keep intending to make me a catalogue...

Oh well ... project for a rainy winter....

Some people need CMYK and different Panatone standards becuase that's the world they work in.  It doesn't mean its the only way but their clients want the files that way.  Others want to make a nice Avatar.  (I'm not saying thats all)  

So if you need photoshop like I need powerpoint at work (much as I hate to) then its cough up the cash time.  But if your willing to comprimise a bit and learn something new you get GIMP for free.

Exactly! Except... Gimp does support CMYK now, as we've stated already.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Xamusk

I've been reading this thread and have some remarks that may be useful.

First I'd like to state that I'm new to the Linux world, but am already amazed by its diversity. There are many things to learn, though, and I think this (lazyness to learn) is the biggest problem in switching. (of course I don't mean Win users are lazy) I can say that cause I think I'm a bit lazy too, but I try not to be.

Then, I've been using Mandrake 9.1 and am already into some aspects of Linux. (By the way, I've tried to install Debian 3r1 and couldn't get even KDE running).

First of all, people willing to pay (and wait) for a PS for Linux should take a look at Secundum Artem's Pixel32 software http://pixel32.box.sk It looks like a good project, although it's paid and not completed yet. But I think a professional might like it. I just took a look, but it looks quite like PS, and is written for multiple platforms.

On the other hand, I'm no graphic artist, I admit, and used gimp only for small and quick pics and manipulations. Well... The first time I used it was just to make some grid and straight lines, but I managed to figure out how to do it easily. That would reduce the user-friendly topic. But to deepen it, I would recommend reading something about the Win to Lin conversion. One of the first things people say is that Linux in general is hard to use. What I found out is that Linux is different to use. It's like people say about Blender. It's has a quite different interface, but once you get used to it and learn it's keys, it gets even faster to use.

About the Grokking in rpm, you can get it at many places. I found it at http://rpm.pbone.org. It's identified as a Suse package, but I think it would also work in Mandrake.

Guest Xamusk

By the way, I'm not used to all the formats used by graphic printers, but I was looking around PDFs and I know they used it. I don't know why Mdk does not install a direct PDF printer, but you can always use a Postscript printer (print to file) and then use the ps2pdf utility.

By the way, I'm not used to all the formats used by graphic printers, but I was looking around PDFs and I know they used it. I don't know why Mdk does not install a direct PDF printer, but you can always use a Postscript printer (print to file) and then use the ps2pdf utility.

You can print direct to PDF using OpenOffice.org (newer versions anyhow) or using the spadmin tool to configure a PDF print driver, and IIRC, KDE allows you to add a PDF printer in it's printer config.

I have a legal copy of Adobe Acrobat, and that's what Windows users have... You gotta pay for it. :) Well, they have OpenOffice.org too, I guess.