gimp v/s photoshop

scoopy

Guest Xamusk

well... apparently I got the kde pdf printer to function. It uses the ps2pdf util I mentioned before. It was just appearing the Postscript printer, but when I just looked the KDE control it magically appeared in the apps.

However, Gimp appears to use another printing system and I don't see where I could get this PPD file, as only some printers are available for choosing, including Level 1 and 2 Postscript file printers. The workaround I see is making a postscript file and then using the ps2pdf util manually, but that wouldn't be the best way and I think there is a better way.

I just don't know what way is that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I didn't have time to read the whole thread, so if what I say has been covered, then accept my apologies.

The Gimp is great, in some ways better then Photoshop. If you don't think so, then you don't know how it works.

The problem with gifs is that they are indexed and can only be in 256 color. This means that each gif has a pallette indexed to it with 256 available color slots.

Now, remember that Winblows programs like Photoshop do a lot of the work (and thinking) for you, which isn't always a good thing. In Linux, we do things ourselves and this produces better results, IF WE KNOWWHAT WE ARE DOING.

So we will convert our image to an indexed file, but then we need to setup the pallette ourselves for the best results. Also, pay attention to the different ways and settings when converting an image to indexed. Do you know what each of those settings mean? If not, then can you really blame the Gimp for your results?

I am not an expert with the Gimp, but when I need to do something, I spend time finding out how first.

Anyway, png kicks the shite out of gif anyday. The problem is that M$ do not support it properly in their crappy browser.

And Freehand kicks the shite out of Photoshop, if you are using winblows, that is :P

Sorry, its 4 in the morning, I'm a bit rough around the edges. :?

I havent read this thread in totallity but in regards to gifs i like make them like this

1)use gimp to create the individual frames, usually as bmp or jpeg.

2)then use imagemajic from the command line to merge the frames into a gif file

3)then open the gif in gimp and adjust the timings between frames etc..

I find this easier than actually making a gif in gimp from scratch probably cause i hardly ever do any graphical work.

All you need to do is make each image on a new layer.

I find it quicker to do it the way i stated rather then working with the layers in gimp, like i said i don't do hardly any graphic stuff. Oh course if i took the time to learn more about it.. but i'm doing other stuff that i find more interesting.

So it's faster to just create umpteen different files, save them all individually, then load a separate program to assemble them all into one file, and then to load that one file back into the original program that you were using?

Honestly, layers aren't that hard to learn... just click New Layer for each image you want in the animation, then just click on the eyeballs until the layers are all not visible. then just click one eye at a time to see one layer. I guess that is complicated. Nevermind. ;)

I'm with DOlson - once I figured out layers it was much faster for everything. I now make all changes, text additions, etc on new layers so it's easy to "undo" 6 days and 2 reboots later...

The layers & frames window lets you hit the "New Layer" button. The eye indicates whether or not you can see it. Easy enough!