question ref; Easy-Urpmi

oldwierdal

Please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that with Easy-Urpmi, when a new release comes out, such as Mandriva 2009, your system will be upgraded from the current level to the new release level via on-line updates/upgrades rather than downloading the iso, burning a CD/DVD, and installing in what has become, for most distributions, the standard method. Is this correct?

owa

If you wait a day or two an updated mdkapplet package will be released in Mandriva 2008.1 after that update when you update your system as usual you will be prompted that there's a new stable release available and if you want to upgrade just like "installing in what has become, for most distributions, the standard method" : )

If you wait a day or two an updated mdkapplet package will be released in Mandriva 2008.1 after that update when you update your system as usual you will be prompted that there's a new stable release available and if you want to upgrade just like "installing in what has become, for most distributions, the standard method" : )

Also read here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes#U...evious_releases

Also read here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Notes#U...evious_releases

Thanks for the quick reply.

So..... Over the past weekend, I installed the Easy-Urpmi package. I do not recall seeing an 'mdkapplet' package since then. If I do sudo rpm -qa | grep mdkapplet, it returns nothing, meaning mdkapplet is not installed. Is it under another name, or has it not yet released.

Assuming all has happened as expected, how can I tell if I'm running on Mandriva 2008.1 or Mandriva 2009?

Unless I missed it, the link you provided does not indicate that Mandriva 2009 would be updated in this manner.

Did you mean if I wait a day or two from today, Oct. 9, I should see this package? Or a day or two from the day I installed Easy-Urpmi, which was Sun., Oct. 5?

Forgive me if I'm sounding dumb. I'm just a bit new to Mandriva. Besides, I'm old, and easily confused.

owa

My bad, it's mdkonline : S

A day or two from today 9 oct (actually 10 here).

The wiki page I linked is telling you that if you upgrade with the way I mentioned you won't have the problem of KDE4 overwriting your KDE3 settings. If you want KDE4 then install task-kde4 .

On a side note, you don't install easyuprmi you just use that site to add the Mandriva software repositories.

My bad, it's mdkonline : S

A day or two from today 9 oct (actually 10 here).

The wiki page I linked is telling you that if you upgrade with the way I mentioned you won't have the problem of KDE4 overwriting your KDE3 settings. If you want KDE4 then install task-kde4 .

On a side note, you don't install easyuprmi you just use that site to add the Mandriva software repositories.

You are quite right about Easy-Urpmi. Incidentally, I just did the update which installed mdkonline as well as a couple of others.

As for KDE, I've really tried to like it. I really have. But I use gnome. It's like beer, I guess. You either like it or you don't.

Again, thanks for the quick response. I'll just wait and let it do its thing with the updates.

owa