copy to usb pen drive from safe mode [solved]

willwinuk

Well the same system used to recognise USB drives when they were plugged in, when it was capable of running in full X mode, so I suspect it's a limitation of the safe mode.

For anyone else with the same problem, it works ok if the devices are plugged in BEFORE booting, and then my SD card appears as /dev/sdb1 and my USB stick at /dev/sdc1. But I couldn't get them to be recognised at all if I plugged them in after boot. Maybe that'll help someone...

As for usb_storage, no it didn't appear in lsmod before, but even after I modprobe'd it, it still didn't create sdb1 or sdc1 when the stick was plugged in. But when I booted WITH the stick in, now usb_storage appears in lsmod.

Okay, so the solution is, either use Knoppix booted to level 2, or make sure the USB stick is plugged in before booting Mandriva safe mode.

Now I got to find me some more RAM to see if that fixes the laptop... :unsure:

It seems that when it's plugged in, some service is detecting hardware at boot and loading the necessary - hence why usb_storage appeared. But strange it didn't work when you manually modprobed and then plugged it in.

Perhaps some other module. You could troubleshoot a little if you have a little bit of time. Start the system with it plugged in and then:

lsmod | grep -i usb

and repeat with a reboot with no device detected and compare the differences. Just a thought.....

I did look before I modprobe'd but all I saw was usbcore.

Thank goodness my panic is over because I got the data I needed with good ol' Knoppix and I can carry on working on another machine. I just thought it was weird that it's probably EXACTLY why you're booting into Mandriva safe mode (to rescue stuff) and then the very things you need to work (ie, USB peripherals and network), don't.

PS/ Looks like the reason for my laptop barfing its guts up WAS the ram after all - I took out one of the ram chips and now it actually manages to boot properly again - phew! :)