copy to usb pen drive from safe mode [solved]

willwinuk

Where exactly are the files in /home?

Where is the pendrive mounted?

Please give the path, directory or filenames you want to copy, and also for the pendrive, please do:

su (enter root password when prompted)
fdisk -l

that's L lowercase and paste the results here. Then we can tell you how to mount it and where if it's not already mounted, and then tell you how to copy files to it. Also provide results from:

mount

so we can see if it's mounted or not.

PS - welcome to the board :beer:

When I do fdisk -1 it just says 'invalid option'

Mount says:

/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime)

none on /proc type proc (rw)

/dev/sda6 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime)

none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)

none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

I'm trying to copy some documents (.odt files) from /home/william/Documents

at console prompt:

cd /home/william/Documents

insert the USB drive. you may need to manually mount it, so you'll have to know what /dev/sdXX it is. fdisk -l should help as ian suggested.

then simply copy the files, i.e.:

cp /home/william/Documents/*.odt /path/to/pendrive/

OK, let's try another way. Plug the pendrive in, and then type:

dmesg

and we should see some info in the last few lines related to /dev/sdx1 where x= b, c, d or whatever depending on how many internal hard disks you have installed in your system. Please write this down, and then write it here, as the picture you took I don't think it gave all the information we needed as there was way too much of it. And if that /dev/sdb is your device, then it seems you have quite a lot of partitions on it or that it is a little screwed up based on the info it's providing.

• 8 months later...

I feel dumb. :dunce2:

I have exactly the same problem, my laptop suddenly won't boot properly any more and my only hope is safe mode to resuce my files from yesterday :sad:

So I'm trying to mount my USB stick, but can't find it. dmesg tells me that it's recognised the stick (New USB device found), tells me idVendor, idProduct, device strings, SerialNumber, but not the device name.

fdisk -l just lists my sda devices, which are all the partitions on the internal hard drive.

in /dev I have scd0 (presumably the CD), sda* which are all on the internal drive, sg0, sg1 and a few others. So I tried to mount sg0 and sg1, but it just complains about "/dev/sg0 is not a block device", same for sg1.

I'm hoping that the laptop's problem is broken RAM, and hopefully can be fixed by replacing the RAM, but in the meantime I need my files I was working on yesterday and can't figure out any way to get them out! I can't even seem to ftp from the safe mode console :wall:

You can't mount sg0 or sg1, and your removable disk is probably seen by your '2009 kernel' as a scsi generic sg2 type 0. You can't mount sg2 either. I would suggest that you make a /media/disk directory, then (as root) try mounting /dev/sdb1 to /media/disk. Unless your removable disk has no partition, then it would be /dev/sdb to /media/disk.

Neither nor...

I have no /dev/sdb anything, no sdc or sdd.

I also plugged in an external USB drive, and I still don't get any such things in /dev... :unsure: Tried also with an SD card in the PCMCIA slot but also no joy...

:wall:

FORTUNATELY I have an old Knoppix CD and when I booted from that the USB stick appeared as /dev/sdb1, so I'm now THANKFULLY sorted :D But it's still a mystery why I was completely unable to mount anything in Mandriva safe mode. Maybe something critical wasn't loaded? :unsure: