X-CD-Roast Question

gmac

O.K. I thought this is embarrassing i can't keep asking stupid questions, so I splashed out and bought the difinitive manual cos i thought this would help me get to grips.

I can't work out how to configure my cdrw or access my cd rom. they are there cos i get the message i don't have access rights. so i look up the manual and it says go in to root and open x-cd-roast and then tells me how to use this configure the cdrw.

My stupid question of the week (actually its not stupid to me) is where is x-cd-roast and how do you open it? second question is how do you open the manual pages. it says type man. Where? I've tried the terminals all i get is a funny bleeping noise.

xcdroast.......2 ways to access it.......

if you're using KDE as you desktop, go to Kicker->applications->archiving->cd burning........but, in order to set it up & give users burning rights, you have to open it as root to be able to set those things, so..........open a terminal->su to root->type xcdroast........the program will open & then you can choose setup. on the last tab called user you can set the permissons needed for who can have burning rights & use the program, other than root. put users name in the appropriate box, select "allow all", tick all the boxes where it says "users are allowed to:", & finally click the bar where it says "change non root configuration" to enable non root mode. click "save configuration"->"ok". you can also set up things specific to your burner, player, speeds, etc. in that area.

as for man pages, while in terminal, just type man followed by the name of a specific program that you want to read about. example:

man xcdroast

there are other flags you can use to get to specific sections of a particular man page, but that's too involved to get into here. if you'd rather browse the man pages in a GUI mode, (again, if you're using KDE) go to kicker->documentation->help. when the help center opens, go down to where it says "unix manual pages". i find it easier to read them that way (IMHO).

Chris

yeah, anon.....we posted minutes apart!

gmac..........another thing. i don't think that setting xcdroast will give you access to your burner & rom other than when you're using xcdroast. (somebody correct me if i'm wrong about that!) what you probably need to do is set user permissions for those things. you can do that by going to terminal as root & type userdrake. it will open up a box showing users on your system. click on a user, click the edit button, click on the groups tab. in the right hand column you'll see goups that are available to add to a user. in the left column are groups the user is already a member of. make sure user has permissions for cdwriter & cdrom. you can also access userdrake in the MCC under the system button & selecting it from there. or, a third way in KDE is kicker->configuration->other->userdrake. (isn't there always about half a dozen ways to perform a given task in Linux? :D )

Chris

I go into kicker applications>archiving> there is no cd only drak.sinc and configuration.

type in man xcdroast get reply no manual entry.

Actually I've just reread the posts I shall footer about a bit more and try what chris Z later. Right now my wife wants me to go look at furniture. guilt is distracting me and spoiling my fun.

gmac,

MCC->install software->type xcdroast in the search box->put a check in the box for xcdroast when it comes up->install. it will tell you what dependencies you need & ask for the appropriate cd. also, did you include documentation (man pages, help....) as a package to install when you installed MDK? if not, do the same procedure to install those.

Chris

good point I will check. I cheated and had it installed for me dual booted with windows. I need the computer and at present only have the one. I can't afford the risk of screwing it up while i learn from my mistakes.

If i can suss out where I'm going wrong with this then I'm on my way to using mandrake full time :lol: