Mandriva Linux 2009 is released

spinynorman

Mandriva have today released Mandriva Linux 2009, the new autumnal release of their distribution.

2009 is a bold release which brings the new KDE 4.1 as the default desktop, along with a re-designed installer and Mandriva Control Center and many other new features. Other significant updates include GNOME 2.24, OpenOffice.org 3, Mozilla Firefox 3, and kernel 2.6.27.

For more details, see the Release Tour and the Release Notes.

Get it at the download page, or go straight to the torrent list.

A good nickname for this release would have been Janus: 

Mandriva could call this the best mdv gnome or xfce release but for the kde users :sad: kde3 didnt get the tlc kde normally gets in a mdv release and kde4, well...I have given my opinion more than enough 

I have been using 2009 KDE4 since it was an alpha - it has been a complete pain in the arse. Entirely, I'll say that again, entirely due to KDE4. Whilst I was prepared to put up with it in a testing distro (in the vain hope that it might improve) I am in no way prepared to put up with it on my default distro. Therefore as 2009 is now mainstream I have finally managed to put KDE3.5.10 on it (lack of bandwidth has prevented me from doing it before) and I have to say it is first class. Both 2009 and KDE 3.5.10.

As for KDE 4 I just hope it either improves markedly or dies the death it deserves. I am amazed that any distro provider can afford to taint their product in such a marked way by using KDE4 as a default desktop environment, it is like producing a Rolls Royce motor car and installing the dashboard from a Trabant - madness!

Hmm i don't know why everyone hates KDE4. I havn't tried it yet, but i feel sorry for the KDE team who do this stuff for free and volenteer and then find the general public bashing them.

Maybe when i get mandriva 2009 (debating if i go powerpack or not, and i won't download the same day of a release, to many problems) ill see what KDE 4 really is

Though, I'm not a KDE user (Gnome user here), I have tried messing around with KDE. Still some of KDEs major apps still needs to be ported (or re-written) from qt3 to qt4. Still lacks of themes but I guess people soon will come up with stuff.

I like they have improved the "buttons/options" everywhere in endless gui menus. Much better now (could improved alot more if you ask me).

Plasma looks awesome. Only complain is the pain-in-the-ass menu. Not very friendly or useful IMHO.

Still needs a qt4 native dock.

I've seen that Opera have qt4 version in beta, looks pretty impressive.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

ffi: Keep trying new versions and update your experiences. There's nothing worse than someone going around saying "this app sucks" and they last used it years ago. Apparently the KDE setup in 2009 is awesome... though that's coming from a Mandrake beta tester I know.

Downloading Mandrake 2009 now. It's been a loooong time.

edit: Would be downloading, can't find a local mirror.

Not all mirrors seem to have synced yet. The number of available mirrors is - indeed - very limited right now and thus the working mirrors probably overloaded. I keep sharing the dvd with bittorrent. Would be nice if others would do the same.

I downloaded 2009.0 this morning and installed it this evening. Everything looks OK, and everything seems to be working fine, too. :D If I can download and install something without any great difficulties, anyone can!! I'm sure I will be writing questions as time goes on, as I learn the new KDE. BTW, this is the first time that I haven't had to enter Mandrivia via failsafe and re-do my video card. It worked the first time!

Kieth