installation of vnc-server program

dnr01

I noticed that the program vnc-server brings up a system service. Well I deleted the program as I didn't know how ti set it up but now I realize that I would like to have this running as a service. Now I can't get the servvice running. I have checked out the man pages but honestly they don't mean much to me. Is there someone out there that can help me out with the setup. Thanks in aadvance.

vnc-server - A VNC server​ 

The VNC system allows you to access the same desktop from a wide variety of platforms. This package is a VNC server, allowing others to access the desktop on your machine.

The files

/etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver

‎/etc/sysconfig/vncservers

‎/usr/bin/vncconfig

‎/usr/bin/vncpasswd

‎/usr/bin/vncserver

‎/usr/bin/x0vncserver

‎/usr/share/man/man1/vncconfig.1.lzma

‎/usr/share/man/man1/vncpasswd.1.lzma

‎/usr/share/man/man1/vncserver.1.lzma

‎/usr/share/man/man1/x0vncserver.1.lzma

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

You have to edit the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers and put the number and name of the user in which vncserver will work for(there is a line in the file as an example)something like:

"fred:1" this will bring back up vncserver in the desktop :1 loading user fred as the owner of the desktop.

If you want the desktop 0 which is the same as you see in the monitor when you log in in the machine,you have to use the x0vncserver( i dont recommend this otion since it will eat up all your cpu time when you login to x0vncserver,at least in all machines i tested it eats all cpu time and the machine is almost "unworkable").For the vncserver to log you in you need to setup the vncpassword for the user it will run,example assuming fred is the user:

open a terminal and run vncpasswd as the fred user,it will prompt you for a password(thats the password for login in to the server when you connect to it.

Dont forget to run "chkconfig --level 345 vncserver on" as root to enable the startup of vncserver when machine boots.

If you deleted the service just uninstall and install vncserver again => urpme tightvnc-server and then urpmi tightvnc-server in a console as root.

Hope you understand :unsure: since i hate writing....

Cheers....

do you know WHICH vnc package youre trying to use?

REALVNC?

TINYVNC?

as far as i know there are about a half dozen different ones out there, but the only one that I have ever really cared for is REALVNC

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/index.html

matter of fact i just set it up the other day in a bid to get around a corp firewall.

Works GREAT and the only thing to "know" is when you 1st execute it, its asks whether you want it as a server or viewer.

BTW, TYPICALLY you dont need a viewer. most java enabled browsers work fine by using IPADDRESS:PORT

The only caveat to that one is going through my DSL router, for that I need the viewer.

J

Why don't you just use NX?

http://www.nomachine.com/

Rather easy to configure, more secure than vnc (forwarded by default via ssh), and can be configured to allow access to both virtual, and real X displays.

vnc is by default not ssh-secured, and it can connect only to virtual dsiplays (you can use x11vnc in parralel which can connect to real X displays).

But, the real reason to prefer NX over VNC, is that the former is ***WAY*** faster! The difference is really huge...

so your using tightVNC as your VNC viewer?

what do you have setup as your server?

is tehre a firewall involved?

have you tried in a java enabled browser http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5900 ?

I'm using tightVNC as my server as well. Its the server that I cannot access from another computer. Also, I have no firewall as I'm using it on my home network that is sitting behind a router.

I'm pretty sure you can. If you install it and do:

chkconfig --list

from the console, you'd see it in the list. If not, you could still add it to /etc/rc.local to start it at bootup also.