Help in installing kde 4

Abinash

I was trying to install KDE 4.1 in my mandriva 2008 free spring. I got from the Linux4u magazine of may 2008 issue.

I followed the steps shown is the forum How to install kde 4.1

and now when I enter into the install softwares part and click on the KDEBASE4 options then this is the error which is shown :-

Sorry, the following package cannot be selected:
- kdebase4-runtime-4.1.0-1mdv2008.1.i586 (due to unsatisfied libclucene.so.0)

Can anyone please help me????

What should I do????

I would update now, rather than later, you get 2009.0 stable and withou a heavy load on the mirrors (mirrors tend to go down or get very slow when everyone updates) You can use easyurpmi to set your sources to cooker: http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php and then set them to 2009.0 in 1-2 weeks or so

But to be totally honest kde4 isn't worth the switch; if you are a happy kde3 user you would most likely be disappointed by kde4 and the state kde3 is in/will be in, in 2009.0.

Since the final release version of Mandriva 2009 will be out in a few short days, I don't see why you just don't wait, coming in this late in the game.

Yes I can wait but there is a curiosity in me to know how thing happen in Linux and thats the sole reason for which I want to know. But if you say I will hv to wait then its perfectly fine with me. Does that mean I can not switch to KDE 4 with my current distro???

Yes I can wait but there is a curiosity in me to know how thing happen in Linux and thats the sole reason for which I want to know. But if you say I will hv to wait then its perfectly fine with me. Does that mean I can not switch to KDE 4 with my current distro???

there is no reason to wait, in fact now is a perfect time to get in, everthing stable and before server meltdown ;)

Been a long time KDE fan, but I'm sorry to say that 4.1.2 is still unusable.

You may give it a spin, but at your own risk.

Personally, I would never consider putting it in place of my ultra-solid and highly configurable XFCE 4.4.2, or the buggy but enjoyable and visually entertaining e17 svn...