md5sums question...

chris z

not sure if this is the proper place to post this question. if not, feel free to move it..............

how to i install/use the md5sums package? is it even a package? (shows his NOObie ignorance :oops: ) i see there's an asc file for that in the pub download section. reason i ask, is sometimes when i install a package (say a texstar rpm, for instance) i get a message that the md5sums are not correct or don't match. i always just click to install anyway & never had a problem with software not working. is this a big deal? if so, what do i need to do to make things kosher? as always, thanks for any answers....

Chris

that explained it to me a bit, as far as .iso's go. but what about rpm's? can you issue the same command to check an rpm md5sum?

$ md5sum nameoffile.rpm

i was getting the invalid md5 message with the latest texstar KDE3.1.3rpm. it's also happened a few other times with assorted rpm's.

thanks,

Chris

okay, i'm having a brain fart here, or just not understanding things. here's what the read me file in texstar's download area says.

The Mandrake software installed (rpmdrake) requires all rpms to be signed

by the person who made the rpm.

To import my key copy the pubring.gpg file to your home directory, drop to

the console, su to root and type:

gpg --import pubring.gpg

i tried that & it tells me that there's no file to import. can't i just copy the pubring.gpg file & put it in my home directory? also, does that mean the "home" directory itself, or "/home/chris" directory? and, can i do the same with the MDKusers .gpg file? sorry, but i still don't get it even after reading the read me files & the "how to" link you directed me to.

Chris

D-load and save the file to /home/chris

Then open a term, su and root password. then type

cd /home/chris

Then type

gpg --import pubring.gpg

You should then see something like this:

[root@localhost me]# gpg --import pubring.gpg

gpg: key 9B4A4024: "MandrakeSoft (MandrakeSoft official keys) <mandrake@mandrakesoft.com>" not changed

gpg: key 22458A98: "Linux Mandrake Security Team <security@linux-mandrake.com>" not changed

gpg: key 70771FF3: "Mandrake Linux <mandrake@mandrakesoft.com>" not changed

gpg: key 8765ACFD: public key "texstar <texstar@houston.rr.com>" imported

gpg: Total number processed: 4

gpg:               imported: 1

gpg:              unchanged: 3

[root@localhost me]#

cool! thanks anon, that worked for texstar's gpg. got the output exactly as you wrote. now........what about that asc file in the users download area for the .iso images? tried the same method with that & i get a "bash command not found" error. and, do all download sources (PLF, etc) have their own .gpg or md5sum files to download via this same method? (if i'm being a pain, tell me so. just tryin' to learn.)

Chris

Your not being a pain :D

The .gpg file you just imported, is needed because Texstars files do not come from Mandrake, well, they do, but he's changed/ rebuilt them.

You don't need that key file for Mandrake ISOs as there already signed by mandrake.

The md5sum.asc file is basically there for you to check that you had a perfect d-load of the ISO

Since the ISO is a huge file, it can come down the line incomplete, so use the md5sum to check the iso is not corrupt

again, thanks for your patience! now i understand. enough geeking & learning for a Saturday. time to mix the first G & T of the day!

laters,

Chris