texstar KDE3.1.3rpm bug?

chris z

has anybody installed the texstar KDE3.1.3rpm? i just did. all seems cool (i loved the new KDE start up screen!), but.... it seems that none of system sounds are working. no mail notification sound, no startup or shutdown sounds. when i go to KDE control center->sound->sound system the button to "test sound" is greyed out (disabled) & i can't figure a way to get it to work. anybody else have this happen? if so, anybody find the answer to get sounds working? i'll play some more & post back if i find an answer.

Chris

nope, it wasn't mute. when i tried to run the aRts control tool i was getting a message that said:

"sounserver failed-make sure that aRtsd is really running & that your KDElibs version is no older than KDEmultimedia"

i checked running processes from terminal & it showed as running & it was ticked to run at KDE startup in KDE control center. i then went hmmmmm, checked textstars rpms. installed a texstar rpm for KDEmutlimedia3.1.3, Kickarts, & aRts & now the sounds are back & the "test sound" button is operational. just a heads up for anybody else that may come across this problem..........install the texstar rpm's for those 3 files & you should have your sounds back. (actually, i'm not sure if the Kickarts had anything to do with it. that's just a kicker front end to access the aRts sound server control. i installed it "just in case".)

hope this might help somebody else out. thanks for your advice Scoopy.

Chris

looks up what version of kldelibs you have installed he posted a new release of them after finding a bug earlier.

Arts should be arts-1.1.3-1tex, kdelibs should be kdelibs-3.1.3-4tex

you may have kdelibs-3.1.3-3.tex.

Hope that helps...I am running the most currents and have no issues.

Which sound card do you have and what module are you loading? I updated, twice with the lib revisions, and have had no problems. I have a sblive and am using emu10k1.

shen wrote:

Arts should be arts-1.1.3-1tex, kdelibs should be kdelibs-3.1.3-4tex

when i installed the KDEbase package, the KDElibs3.1.3 was one of the dependencies for that package, so it installed with it. the problem was i needed the aRts & multimedia upgrades also. shouldn't they be included as dependencies?

Ixthusdan wrote:

Which sound card do you have and what module are you loading? I updated, twice with the lib revisions, and have had no problems. I have a sblive and am using emu10k1.

my sound card is ancient.....Crystal PNP, integrated. not sure about what module is loading. how do i find that out? during boot? regardless, i've never had a sound problem with MDK or KDE 'til this event.

pmpatrick wrote:

Identical problem here chris z. It's definitely a bug. Updated with urpmi and lost my sound. Fortunately, I imaged with partimage before and was able to restore kde 3.1.2.

you really didn't need to restore a backup. if you just add the aRts & mutlimedia packages, you should be good to go. that's all i had to do.

anywho, the sound problem is no more. i'm not a member of PCLinux forums. maybe i'll go over there & join & post about this bug. or, do they have a dedicated bug report section over there? or, can you just email texstar directly to report bugs?

more caffeine & nicotine now.......

Chris

Chris z what I was saying is check the revision of the kdelibs in the package you you have 3.1.3-4 the -4 is texstars 4th release of the kdelibs package. you may have -3 if so then the answer is to update urpmi and see if -4 is available for you to download.

I am glad you got your prob fixed though..:) That's always a good thing..:)

chris z wrote:

you really didn't need to restore a backup. if you just add the aRts & mutlimedia packages, you should be good to go. that's all i had to do.

Sorry. No joy here when I tried again. The new libarts was downloaded and installed:

[root@localhost patrick]# urpmi kdebase-3.1.3

To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (87 MB):

kdebase-3.1.3-1tex.i586

kdebase-devel-3.1.3-1tex.i586

kdebase-kdm-3.1.3-1tex.i586

kdebase-nsplugins-3.1.3-1tex.i586

kdelibs-3.1.3-4tex.i586

kdelibs-common-3.1.3-4tex.i586

kdelibs-devel-3.1.3-4tex.i586

libarts-1.1.3-1tex.i586

Preparing...                ##################################################

1:libarts                ##################################################

2:kdelibs                ##################################################

3:kdelibs-devel          ##################################################

4:kdebase-kdm            ##################################################

5:kdebase                ##################################################

6:kdebase-nsplugins      ##################################################

7:kdebase-devel          ##################################################

8:kdelibs-common         ##################################################

Then I did urpmi kdemultimedia and still no sound. Updated urpmi before I did the installs. Thank God for partimage. Restored again. Time for a beer :wink:

pmpatrick..........

try installing the kickarts package from texstar also.......& did you reboot? i know that's sorta sacriledge when using Linux :shock: , but i've found out that sometimes you do need to reboot for things to take effect. if that doesn't work, then i'm at a loss, 'cause those are the procedures i followed & the sound is fine on my end, along with everything else KDE related.

Chris

i think i found another KDE3.1.3-1 texstar rpm related bug.

i was trying to view a web site (in Konqueror) that told me i needed a newer version of MacroMedia Shockwave. i installed it, then opened KCC & tried to scan for new plugins. i got an an error message saying "nsplugin scanner not found". i tried again from Konqueror->configure Konqueror, & still no go. i checked texstar's downloads & found he has a new version of that (KDE-nsplugins3.1.3-1tex rpm). installed that, tried plugin scan again, & it worked fine. anybody else try scanning for plugins lately? anybody else have this problem? just wondrin'.....

Chris