What did Mandriva do to make everyone hate them?

iceyintel

Great post Adam, very interesting, I have been using Mandriva (Mandrake) since the early days, but after Mandrake 9.2 (bought as Powerpack DVD) I stopped upgrading until 2008.1.

I tried every single release after 9.2 (on a separate test partition) but always found more issues than benefits, so I simply continued using 9.2 (doing occasional manual upgrades from source of stuff important to me) until 2008.1 came out.

IMHO 2008.1 has been the best release since 9.2 and probably even better than 9.2 (even though 9.2 served me well for 4 years as my primary desktop OS!)

I just want to say thanks to the Mandriva developers for making such a great desktop alternative to Windows and I will likely buy products from you again to support you (was a club member for a while too).

Mandrake 9.2 belongs to the museum of grand antiquities... if not for something else, for using Linux Kernel 2.4.22, which isn't really suitable for usage in ANY modern desktop.

Mandiva has not done something wrong-maybe some unlucky administrative picks, but nothing REALLY wrong. It's clearly not the easiesnt, or meanest distro out there, but it's quite good, and well laid out.

It's simply all that Ubuntuitis spreaded around which makes the difference, which is rather inexplicable. Debian is surely enough way more sophisticated and properly laid out, and compared to the latest Debian Sid (Sidux) the latest official *buntu release is much inferior under any apsect- IMHO.

Nice write up Adam. The dodgy releases after 10.0 was one of the reasons I left Mandrake for other shores.

I agree, Adam. Very well written. I first looked at Mandrake in late 2003, but refused to joine the club. I tried it during the weak-release period, and ran away. As I mentioned in another post, I retreated from Fedora because of the extremely aggressive release cycle, and settled for the stodgey but stable CentOS.

Ever inquisitive, though, I re-discovered Mandriva just over a month ago, and I have been quite impressed.

As for the low opinion mentioned as the basis for this post, I've always been one to go my own way, and am frequently oblivious to what others might be saying. Until reading this post, I was completely unaware that Mandriva was being talked about at all, not to mention that it was not favorable. HUMA, I suppose, but I do go my own way.

Again, a very interesting explanation, Adam. I'm nearly as impressed with your writing as I am with this distribution.

owa