Where is Quanta? [solved]

banjo

I just installed mandy 2008.1 from the Live CD. It went well and I am looking for apps. I cannot find Quanta in the repositories. All it finds is kde4-quanta. It does not find it installed either. I need my quanta.

What am I doing wrong? I must have screwed something up out at easyurpmi.

Also, while I am at it, how do I see a list of the mirrors I am using for the repositories? All the Configure Media page shows me is what is enabled. Where can I see the mirror list?

Thanks to all.

Linux rocks!

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Quanta is now part of kdewebdev.

To find it in the software installer I just used search in file names from the menu that pops up when you click the binoculars.

For a list of mirrors and their URL's

urpmq --list-url

in a konsole.

Ken

Ah yes, kdewebdev. That was going to be my next guess after "quanta" :lol2:

Actually, I vaguely remember reading that somewhere a few months ago. It worked fine. Thanks for the tip.

I also tried "urpmq --list-url" which worked fine. When I go into Config Media and select a repository and click on Edit, the line comes up blank. I knew I that I have URLs in there because I have been installing apps all day. For some reason the GUI tool is not showing me the details.

So much for the fancy GUI stuff (said the guy who spent the last 25 years developing GUI's) :lol2:

CLI rules!

Linux rocks!

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Just out of curiosity, why did they give so many choices in the Software Management Gui? With some of them I understand, if you're looking for something very specific, but the others?

All

Meta Packages

Packages with Gui

All updates

Security updates

Bug fixes updates

General updates

Backports

On the other hand, the dynamic download of the package information is kind of nice. I remember in the bad old days downloading megabytes of stuff that I would never look at because it was an all or nothing approach.

I don't see a whole lot of value in being able to browse the apps in the package manager. The package names are so cryptic that you have to know what you are looking for anyway, like kdewebdev, or you won't understand what you are looking at.

Not complaining. I downloaded and installed lots of apps yesterday on my new system and it worked pretty well.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

This is the first time I have ever installed Mandy from anything other than a Powerpack so I am struggling to find the apps I need. So far the package manager has made it pretty easy once I figure out which package to install.

Last night I installed a new kernel to get past the 880 Meg RAM limitation. I was a little nervous about yanking out the beating heart of my system and replacing it, but it worked as advertised. :D

So far I am happy with my choice to stay with Mandy. I had looked at ubuntu, but chose not to jump ship.

Mandy rocks.

Banjo

(_)=='=~