Show off your Desktop - October 2008

spinynorman

Here's my first 64-bit install. I have installed it using the 'free-2009-dual-arch' CD and it took me over 7 hours Tuesday to install this system (the mirrors where still very busy), but that was still faster than d/ling the 4.3GB DVD with my connection. :)

This is also the first time I've used Gnome with Mandriva, but that was not an issue for me as I've always used Gnome with Debian.

Here's my first 64-bit install. I have installed it using the 'free-2009-dual-arch' CD and it took me over 7 hours Tuesday to install this system (the mirrors where still very busy), but that was still faster than d/ling the 4.3GB DVD with my connection. :)
Why not just get Mandriva One, install from that, then add modify repo's and install programs after the fact? It should would have saved several hours. Edited by tyme

Why not just get Mandriva One, install from that, then add modify repo's and install programs after the fact? It should would have saved several hours.
Perhaps because One is 32bit only?

If you want 64bit it's done with install disks not live disks.

Ken

I used Mandriva 2008.1, then upgraded to Mandriva 2009.0 using the repos :) but that's another thread rather than "Show off your Desktop". ;)

And 64 bit can be done with Mandriva One.

And 64 bit can be done with Mandriva One.
Not to argue but if that's possible please tell us how.

As far as I know One installs a 32bit system and the only way to get a 64bit install is to reinstall, you can't just do an upgrade.

Ken

I was also under the impression that there was a 64-bit One. Sorry! :)
No need to be sorry, I learn something knew every day but seeing that the human brain has a finite capacity, at the end of the week I pick one of the seven as the best and discard the rest.

Hopefully this will keep my wet hard drive from going into total lockup. :thumbs:

Ken

Edited by K Bergen