MCNLive USB - Making Persistent Changes Permanent

paul459

I am an newbie to Linux so excuse me if I'm asking a dumb question. Since picking up Linux several weeks ago, I've found answers to most of my questions on-line. I've done some searching on this topic and can't seem to find the answer. This one's got me stumped.

I installed MCN Live to a USB drive. To make changes (like adding a printer which I didn't do before remastering), I used the boot code "livecd persist" and made the changes. From what I read, those changes are saved in the mcnlive.loop file.

If I want to make those changes permanent (so I don't have to use the "livecd persist" boot code), I think I have to recreate the persistent loop (MCN Live Menu --> "create persistent loop"). When I do this I get the error "start the live system without the boot code 'live persist.'"

If I restart on a normal boot, my changes from the "live persist" session are gone. So they're not there for me to create the persistent loop. If I make the changes again at this stage and then "create persistent loop" the process is successful but my changes are not there when I reboot normally. And if I reboot with the "livecd persist" boot code my changes are also gone - in effect I've gone back to the system I installed with the remastered CD.

However, I find that if I make changes in the "livecd persist" boot code, I can get back to them only if I boot with the "livecd persist" boot code.

So my question - how do I make the changes to the USB drive permanent so I don't have to use the "livecd persist" boot code all the time? What am I missing?

Paul

there were several persist scripts used in mcnl and the early ones didnt work very well

you have 2 simple choices (i'm working now on updating the scripts)

1 - boot from another linux OS, insetr your usb stick and mount it, then search for syslinux.cfg and delete the part of the liveusb line that says changes =/mnt/dev/sda2 (that may not be exact but its close) , reboot, insert the usb , boot from that, create your persist file, reboot from another linux oem put those changes back. this will only work if you have repartitioned your usb such that a 2nd partition is present and is mounted as /dev/sda2

2- OR go to www.pendrivelinux.com and follow the instructions for using PDL08.

obviously #2 is MUCH easier, and pdl is a direct copy of MCNL

unfortunatley making those persistent is a lot of workm and many of the scripts out there today were all created by cgris (who is retired) and modfied by highking.

PDL is a great remaster and MCNL has LOTS of info at www.mcnlive.org, www.mandrivaclub.nl

but chris its primary author retired about a year ago.

there are currently 2 folks trying to update the whole thing.....

Thank you for a pleasant and helpful reply. I think I'm going to like using Linux - it seems the people in the community are just great.

Option 1 looks like a lot of work. After my post I figured out that if I boot with the "livecd persist" boot code my changes will be there. I haven't tested this fully yet, but that looks like a reasonable option. I also figured out that if I install the basics packages I want before I remaster, then its not an issue until I want to update or add something. But for the application the MCN Live has everything I need and then some. I think its really an awesome implementation of Linux.

I will certainly try option 2 next week, and I've downloaded the files. Looks like much better option, and I wish I'd started with that. From everything I've read, I didn't think you could put more than one partition on a USB stick. So I'm eager to try try the partition tool.

But for now, I've already spent a lot of time getting my live image set up, and now its just the way I want it. This took several tries until I found out from one post last night that one of the updates causes a Kernel Panic. I've finally created my remaster.iso setup as I want it (without updates) and it boots. The only thing missing is Java, and I'm having a problem with that which I didn't have when I installed to a system on a hard drive. The solution may be simple, and maybe you can help/

When I run the java.rpm file, (from the console after su/password (root), the installation is not able to write some of the files Still plenty of space, so that's not the problem. If I install the .bin file in a Java subfolder of the home folder, all the files unzip, but not where they're supposed to (/usr/java/).

Also, from the console, I cannot figure out how navigate to the Mozilla plugin folder /root/usr//ib/mozilla/plugin to write "libjavaplugin.ojl.so" file that directs Mozilla to Java (per the instructions for the Java download), and even if I get there, it doesn't look like I'd be able to write the file. It appears anything past the home folder is write protected even as su root. I thought of ending the session and logging as root/root. I started doing this but the red screen and all the postings I've read about the subject deterred me from trying.

Can you suggest what I need to do to finish this last step of installing Java? Thanks again!

I tried option 2, and downloaded the AIOPendriveLinux08. I used the HP utility to reformat an 8gig USB drive (after removing U3), and made the drive bootable from Windows.

The boot process starts, then hangs. These are the last few lines:

"Insmod: Can't read "/unionfs.ko" No such file or directory. Failed to load unionfs module

loading /initrd/bin/ash"

BusyBox V1.1.2 ................

Enter help for a list of built in commands

/inintrd/bin/ash can't access tty

Job control turned off

$"

Any suggestions?

I've seen that a LOT

every single time it was due to a bad cd burn.

however, since it a;ppears that you are encountering this when you are running it from your USB drive (is that rght?) if that so, the error will generally mean that not all the files were copied to the USB drive.

I dont know WHY that happens, but it IS irritating

although i looked at that version of PDL, I actually used this one:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/02/13/pe...l-from-windows/

i think there are file missing in the AIO version

j

Hello:

I tried you version of PDL, and that gave me the same problem. I reread your post and

"the error will generally mean that not all the files were copied to the USB drive."

This got me thinking. I was using Winzip to unzip the files. I tried with RAR and it booted. I went back to the AIO version and tried that with RAR, and that booted too. I've gone back to the AIO version three times with Winzip - twice it worked, once it didn't. Can't figure out why. Can't fix a bug you can't duplicate and it probably doesn't matter. If someone has the same problem, recommend trying a different unzip utility.

I also tried the minime. That won't boot in my Dell 400 test machines (I tried in two of them). It gives some access errors like

"/initra/bin/asa Can't access tys

Job control turned off

$USB 4-4: device not accepting address 2 Error 110"

It does this again for address 4, 5, 6 and 7.

But that's got to be related to the hardware in the Dell, because it works fine in my HP D530 test machine. I think I like the Synaptic s package manager in minime. But no room to install anything substantial like Open Office. I have over 7 gigs left on that 8 gig key drive. I don't see an option for writing a loop file on that one. Any suggestions?

Logically, I'm thinking I might have to install it to a hard drive, install my software, then remaster and reinstall to the USB key. Am I barking up the right tree?

I like the PDL and the MCN Live that I was trying to set up earlier. Much more elegant systems. I have your version of the PDL on a 1 gig key. Looking forward to using it..

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Paul

honestly

the ONLY reason i point folks to PCLOS minime08 is because the hw detection is better if you have new stuff.

if your hw is more than 2 years old, PDL or MCNL will do much better.

however you could ALSO try PCLOS07 thats a complete OS with LOTS of apps installed.

it boots as a live CD 1st so you can see if it has what you need before you install it.

but yes, on MOST of my older hw I am running MCNL and loving it

i even teach a class from it.

J

Thanks again for your advice. I have a few different keys set up with PDL, MCN and MiniMe, so I can try each and see which I like best over time.

I've hit a couple of road blocks.

1. In MCN, I can't install Java because it won't let me write to or open the folders I need to get into, so some of the Java files fail to copy when I run the ./ install (these look system folders to me). How do I get in these so the Java install can complete/

2. On MiniMe, I can't remaster because I can't mount (right click --> mount) any of the Windows drives in the machine in which I have it running. I can get to the drives on the network, but I don't think that works for remastering. What can I do here?

I remember on MCN having a similar problem because the power wasn't turned on in the usb enclosure that my NTFS drive was plugged in. So I plugged in another Linux drive and thought I could get in there. It wouldn't let me mount that either. I lost a lot of time on that goof up setting up, the system the way I wanted, only having to reboot and start over. It was late last night, so I gave up on trying to remaster the minime. But at least I still had all the software I installed when I restarted it this morning :)

I'll appreciate if you can point me in the right direction on documentation for these issues, or provide me with some pointers.

Regards,

Paul

Paul, I know youre probably NOT going to like this answer, but to be honest my MOST successful method of completely personalizing MCNL is to get a small old pc and install MCNL to the hard drive and work from there.

MCNL will successfully remaster from there and as above once you get something setup, you wont have to lose it just because you reboot.

this will make installing your JAVA MUCH easier

2 direct comments

1) for your java issue: have you tried logging in as root, installiong java there and then IMMEDIATELY remastering it? I'll be honest, when i get involved in a project like this i typically go by a 50 or 100 pack of blank cd's and just realize i'm going to use a LOT of them. I've burned up to 6 different re masters in a single day. just becsause I kept remastering things.

2) in all you comments about your NTFS drive I never heard you mention going into mcc and mounting them that way? It may be a pain but it works! Also in that same vein do you have ntfs3g installed/? I dont remember it being a default install on MCNL.

something ELSE you may try. get an ISO of MDV2007.1, install it VERY sparsely, but with EVERYTHING you want it to have, on an old test bed pc, then follow my step by steos to remsater from THAT.

the ONLY reason I'm not still using that method at home is because I need ROSEGARDEN, and there is something in that, that overwrites part of the remaster scripts. Otherwise I outgre CD's a LONG time ago and moved to DVD's

my recommendation for THAT is to MAKE sure your main partition NEVER exceepds 3.9GB.

for SOME reason, even with good compression, the ISO's NEVER load properly after that.

j

Paul, I know youre probably NOT going to like this answer, but to be honest my MOST successful method of completely personalizing MCNL is to get a small old pc and install MCNL to the hard drive and work from there.

Actually, that seems like a great option to me - thanks for the suggestion.

"1) for your java issue: have you tried logging in as root, installiong java there and then IMMEDIATELY remastering it?"

Not yet, but I will. Although lots of the posts I've read are "anti" logging in as root. It seems to be a taboo in the Linux community so I've tried to avoid it. But the Java install documentation has some reference to installing it system-wide by logging in as root.

"2) in all you comments about your NTFS drive I never heard you mention going into mcc and mounting them that way? It may be a pain but it works! Also in that same vein do you have ntfs3g installed/? "

I'll try installing ntfs3g. But I also had a problem mounting a Linux drive that was created on another system. Maybe because wasn't logged in as root. I think I should be able to mount drives, so I must be missing something. Is there some concise documentation on this somewhere? I'm not finding any answers.

A second time when I forgot to mount the NTFS dive, I plugged in an unpartitioned drive in a USB enclosure and created an ext3 partition. I was able to write the remaster to that. But then I couldn't read that partition on another Linux system. So I plugged it back in and copied the remaster over the network to a Windows shared drive. Not an elegant solution, but it worked.

So I guess I should rephrase my question. If I plug in a foreign Linux drive, what do I need to do in order to mount it. In Windows I can just plug in a USB drive and read/write to it. There must be a similar (or better) way of doing it in Linux

"something ELSE you may try. get an ISO of MDV2007.1, install it VERY sparsely, but with EVERYTHING you want it to have, on an old test bed pc, then follow my step by steos to remsater from THAT."

I'll give that a go next. and keep your caveats in mind. I'm trying to get it all to fit on a 4 gig flash drive, and leave some room for copying files - so staying under 3.9 gigs is well within my plan.

Regards,

Paul

i;m not sure i understand your bad news?

typically what i do with minime when i remaster, i plug in a small (60gb) usb hd that I have.

it is ONLY partitioned as fat32, and although I do have to mount it everytime (you can "folder view" it as soon as you plug it in, but in order to write it you have to mount it") it works awesome.

now as i may have mentioned i have moved around some of the scripts in my minime.

i used the ones from PDL and took what i liked and added them to minime.

if you would like a copy of an ISO I'm using I can FTP it to you if you have a site. its a CD and i believe its only 300+mb.

as for root logins, yeah you mention it in any general linux forum and you'll get 900 replies damning your soul to everlasting hell for even considering the thought.

typically by folks who have been living off the linux CLI for decades.

they seem to forget that us windows converts havent seen a cli since 1998.

if i recall, there is actually a file in MDV that must have a change made in order to allow ROOT logins. minime allows them right from the start. I guess tex realized what a stupid fight it was.

j

What I mean is that when I get to the dialog to select the target to write the remaster, the list is blank. I have a couple of NTFS drives in the computer which are mounted, but they don't show up in the list. When I continue, I get a dialog that says not enough space to write the remaster.

I plugged in another drive with a copy of Fedora on it, and was able to mount that. When I run the remaster, it shows up in the list as the only choice. When I select it and continue, it says not enough space to write the remaster.

Next, I took a blank drive unpartitioned drive, and created an ext3 and a Linux native partition. I couldn't mount either of those. So I created a couple of types of partitions (from the dropdown list). One of those I was able to mount. When I try the remaster, it shows up in the list, but when I continue I get the dialog that says not enough space to write the remaster.

I also tried plugging in another 8 gig key drive, but it won't recognize that in the list at the time of remaster.

What could I possibly doing wrong that I can't mount any of the Linux partitions I create?

By the way, when I do this, I'm logged in as root (yes, I'm evil). To mount (or try to mount) the drives, I am browsing to the drives from the "computer" on the desktop, and right click --> mount.

Yes, I'd like a copy of your minime iso. I couldn't open an FTP for you today. The server's down until tomorrow afternoon for a long awaited upgrade. Soon as its back online (hopefully Thursday afternoon) I'll open an FTP for you and drop the info in here.

Thanks again for all your help and for sharing your PDL and minime.

Paul

What I mean is that when I get to the dialog to select the target to write the remaster, the list is blank. I have a couple of NTFS drives in the computer which are mounted, but they don't show up in the list. When I continue, I get a dialog that says not enough space to write the remaster.

I plugged in another drive with a copy of Fedora on it, and was able to mount that. When I run the remaster, it shows up in the list as the only choice. When I select it and continue, it says not enough space to write the remaster.

Next, I took a blank drive unpartitioned drive, and created an ext3 and a Linux native partition. I couldn't mount either of those. So I created a couple of types of partitions (from the dropdown list). One of those I was able to mount. When I try the remaster, it shows up in the list, but when I continue I get the dialog that says not enough space to write the remaster.

I also tried plugging in another 8 gig key drive, but it won't recognize that in the list at the time of remaster.

What could I possibly doing wrong that I can't mount any of the Linux partitions I create?

By the way, when I do this, I'm logged in as root (yes, I'm evil). To mount (or try to mount) the drives, I am browsing to the drives from the "computer" on the desktop, and right click --> mount.

Yes, I'd like a copy of your minime iso. I couldn't open an FTP for you today. The server's down until tomorrow afternoon for a long awaited upgrade. Soon as its back online (hopefully Thursday afternoon) I'll open an FTP for you and drop the info in here.

Thanks again for all your help and for sharing your PDL and minime.

Paul

WOW you try a WHOLE lot harder that I do.

to be honest i have had a LOT of the same issues you have, so i went the simple route.

I ALWAYS remaster to a FAT32 drive when i'm using minime.

with MCNL I could remaster to almost ANYTHING, but having run into the same issues you did, when fat32 worked for me i just stuck with it.

as for the ISO, if you'll PM me I'll shoot you a link to where i put the ISO yesterday, its an HTTP download so its not fast but it works.

this is the LAST iso i remastered, I have been working on a few other things, but havent re rolled them yet.

j

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.