urpmi HELP!!!!

chris z

ok, i goofed :oops: i was trying to get texstar's new kde3.1.3rpm, but my install software in MCC wasn't finding it. soooo.....i saw something about the command "urpmi.removemedia -a" & thought that might refresh the sources :shock: i shoulda known remove meant freakin' REMOVE!!!! now i don't have anything in my urpmi sources & i don't know how to get them back!!! no cd sources, no Mandrake update sources, NOTHING!!! can somebody please instruct me on how to rebuild those sources? PLEASE??? i can go to pclinux & add the sources from their "how to", but i have no idea how to restore the cd sources or the Mandrake update sources. i'll be waiting & biting my nails........

thanks,

Chris

oops, I think the command you were looking for is urpmi.update -a

Anyway, the easiest way to restore the update and other sources is to follow this link:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

All you need to do is select the sources you want and they will provide the commands needed to add them.

In order to restore the CD's follow these directions:

1. Open Mandrake Control Centre

2. Click on Software Management

3. Click on Software Sources Manager

This will pop up a little window showing all the sources you have configured - which right now is none.

4. Click Add

Here you will get a little window that allows you to add a source

5. Select Removeable Device

6. Give the source a name - "Installation CD 1(x86) (cdrom1)" is what I have

7. fill in the rest of the info

Here is what is listed for CD 1 on my computer

URL: removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS

Relative path to synthesis/hdlist: ../base/hdlist1.cz

That is taken from the edit dialog box - For the add box, just exchange URL for PATH and fill in the same info.

Hope that works

:oops::oops::oops:

sorry for not posting back. after that episode, i decided to drown my sorrows in cheap talk & gin. but...... :D i fixed it! all by myself!!! i gathered my wits & started reading the help & man pages (RTFM!). i have my cd sources working again, the update sources are good, & i re-added the various other sources. yes, urpmi.update -a woulda been the proper command. had i only looked before i leaped........... but, thanks for the useful info you posted. still on the learning curve i am :lol: . time to make the donuts now..........

Chris

on a side note........ the cd sources are what really had me stumped. every time i chose a new removable media source, i would set the path to my cdrom & give it a name, but it always told me that the source wasn't valid. then the moment of clarity........insert MDK cd1, mount the drive, THEN add the cd source.........TADA!!! it found the source, updated, & added. inserted the other 2 MDK cd's & followed the same procedure. tested it by trying to add a package, & it asked to insert the appropriate cd source & popped open my cd tray. sorry, but it feels so good when i can figure things out on my own. and, now i know how to update rpm sources, too! (and how to remove them :shock: )

Chris

yer welcome :D

Chris