VMware Server 2 Released!

ianw1974

Now, VMware Server 2 has been released!

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

I've been using since VMware Server 2 Beta and it's great - a much improvement on VMware Server 1.x. For those who've used VMware Server 1.x, you'll know that it was always 32 bit. With the release of VMware Server 2, there is now both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Performance is much improved I find. The vmware-console has been replaced with a web-ui to manage machines. So you either use this connecting to your machine locally, or across the network if you have installed VMware Server 2 on another machine. An extension is installed within Firefox, so that you can see the graphical console for using the machine.

I've only used this under Linux and with Firefox, so I don't know more about browser-support, but since the last six months or so of using it, I can definitely recommend it over VMware Server 1.x

Enjoy!

Did you give it a LONG spin, Ian?

I have tried many of its betas, but the performance of the new web/tomcat UI was simply dismal... damn slow, resource-hungry, and with severe rendering glitches. I think I haven't tried anything they have issued the last 50 days or so.

Edited by scarecrow