DSL router

Guest frew

Ok, so me and my parents are both sick of trying to configure windows to be that gateway and my stepdad still doesn't like the idea of linux doing it. So we are going to buy a router. Anyone know of some good ones? The only requirement I have is that it can hook up to my switch so that I can still have lan parties.

Just about any router from a respectable company will do actually, especially if you are not planning to make a server in one of your computers. I have a D-link 604 (regular 4 port wired ethernet switch/router) and a friend have a Netgear (another one of the 4 port wired ethernet switch/router) and both seems to be setup quite easily. Don't buy a wireless switch/router unless you want to spend extra for buying a wireless card for every computer.

I've been using an SMC router with a printer server and built in firewall. Never had a problem utilizing any of the features in Linux. I run my Linux box and two windows boxes in our home network. The router has 4 ports each of which can receive a hub or switch. Theoretically the router can handle 256 stations. And it was only 70 bucks after rebate!

Your stepdad doesn't like the idea of linux doing it? Does he realize the majority of the planet, as well as the majority of router/gateway/firewall combo boxes are using linux for this? (Networking is my career ;))

To use linux all you need is an old box and freesco linux without a monitor, HD, k/b, or mouse. Or even a video card, sound card, etc really. But anyway, it's insanely easy to setup and will do the exact same thing a bought router will do (and if you already have a switch you could really save some $$$)

Anyway, if that doesn't prompt you to save cash, I have a linksys broadband router 4 port switch. It can easily (any router can) connect to another switch with a crossover network cable or a normal one through an uplink port (crosses over for you). My port 1 actually has 2 ports, uplink and 1. You use either or because it shares internal wiring. Having it setup as a DHCP server (gives PC's their IP's) makes LAN parties BEAUTIFUL with this router. All I can say is I've had no problems, and my friend has the SMC equivalent (but also has an LPT port to act as a printer server). Feel free to e-mail me any questions regarding product comparison or setup procedures.

static0verdrive@icqmail.com

Cheers.

{In all honesty, an old box running linux - preferably red hat if you can find a box powerful enough - would be more secure and just as easy to maintain, with MANY more options. It would be infinitely more configurable and customizable. While I love and recommend my linksys, I'm selling it and going freesco on a 386 for the extras}

So they will hook up to a switch?  That is my main requirement.  Oh and that it works of course.

Any router should hook up to a switch without a problem. If you have a switch then you can save yourself some money and just get a router without the extra 4 port hub attached.

Although, if you are thinking of using Linux, then I would suggest using smoothwall gpl - http://www.smoothwall.org/

I have not had the time to install it yet, but everything I have read states that it is one of the best firewall, routers out there. (cue the disagreement :) )

Although' date=' if you are thinking of using Linux, then I would suggest using smoothwall gpl - http://www.smoothwall.org/

I have not had the time to install it yet, but everything I have read states that it is one of the best firewall, routers out there. (cue the disagreement :) )

:lol: :lol: I'll be the first to disagree. While SW is a good product the people behind it are, to say the least, lacking in people skills. Should you ever ask a question be prepared to be insulted, called names and general abuse.

I prefer a fork from them called IPCop. Same idea better product and much nicer people involved in it. :)

:lol:  :lol: I'll be the first to disagree. While SW is a good product the people behind it are, to say the least, lacking in people skills. Should you ever ask a question be prepared to be insulted, called names and general abuse.

I prefer a fork from them called IPCop. Same idea better product and much nicer people involved in it.  :)

Hmm... Hadn't heard, or read, that. Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind.

right, so what I don't need is a software router, as I already did that and someone didn't like it.

Not that this can help but they're all software routers if you think about it. :)

The 2 we were discussing, that you can't use due to the puxxeling distrust by someone of our favorite OS, use a dedicated computer and the software is a modified linux OS>

Am I the only one that uses Mandrake Single Network Firewall? Is there any specific reason I should use Ipcop instead?

I use SNF cause it installs in like ten minutes & is easy as a hardware router to configure via the web interface. I must admit though, my clients don't seem to work unless I have them using the actual DNS of my ISP...and I wish I knew how to setup DHCP to assign specific IPs to MAC addresses..

shane