Kazaa Lite with WINE

Guest isa484

Guest isa484

Hi,

I'm having problems getting Kazaa Lite to run...

I've read the howtos and related threads - that's how I managed to get it up and running in the first place. I don't think the problem is with the WINE setup - I think it's my basic incompetance with Linux!

The fake windows environment thingy is under /home/isa484/Programs/kazaa/.wine/fake_windows

When I run the kazaa script as root I get the following error message:

unable to connect to sound server

Warning: could not find wine config [Drive x] entry for current working directory /home/isa484/Programs/kazaa/.wine/fake_windows/Program Files/Kazaa K++; starting in windows directory.

/usr/bin/wine.bin: cannot find 'kpp.exe'

I'm not sure what this means - but what really confuses me is that if I try to run it when I'm not logged in as root - it works fine, up until it has loaded the Kazaa Lite window when it produces an "Unhandled page fault on read access..." etc. This must be because I'm not logged in as root - also tehre are loads of errors shown in the terminal. Again - these could be because it needs to be run as root. I just don't understand why it can't find the file when I'm logged in as root!

Guest isa484

There is a kpp.exe in the Kazaa Lite directory - it could be that it's looking for that. I just don't understand why it finds it when I don't run it as root.

I tried to use Edonkey - but after it ran a couple of times it stopped working! *baffled* It's also not so good for small files - like mp3s

I've downloaded limewire and I'm going to try that now...

I like Kazaa because it has a large user base and I seem to be able to find almost anything on there.

Don't try Limewire!!!!!

I know the windex one is FULL of spyware, the linux would probably be the same!!!!!!

I had it on my windex system b4 i removed it and it was so annoying!!

How about GTK-Gnutella??

It's what I use, it takes a little longer for the searches to go through but is great!!

just 'urpmi gtk-gnutella'

James

Have you visited this site: http://frankscorner.org/ ? Has everything you need to know.

Also...

The fake windows environment thingy is under /home/isa484/Programs/kazaa/.wine/fake_windows

I think it's wiser to install it in the default location: /home/username/.wine/fake_windows yadda yadda. As for the wine config complaint, I think you haven't run winesetuptk yet. Download that rpm and run it to set up wine. I'm not sure what you mean by "kazaa script" though. What's that ? Btw to get Kazaa to work perfectly, you need to get the Windows DLLs for Kazaa, the dcomm98.exe's DLLs and put them in the fake_windows' system folder.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Xamusk

Have you ever tried MLdonkey? I've been using it for some time and it is really cool. It can connect to many networks, Including fasttrack (used by kazaa) and can run in the background as a daemon. There is also a rpm that makes it start the daemon in the linux start, even before the login, which makes it useful for multi-user environments where you want your downloads running continuously. And the daemon can be controlled by a web interface or a GUI, and you can use any browser to access your downloads, allowing for downloading from a different computer.