Mandriva 2008 Powerpack with Nvidia Geforce 8600GT

alfredoq

Hello mandriva users. I have just bought a new computer and installed Mandriva 2008 distribution. The video card is a Nvidia Geforce 8600GT, and I have been struggling for several days to get the 3D acceleration work. I though that this distribution would recognice the card out of the box but it didnt, so I downloaded the driver form Nvidia. The first problem I am struggling with is that I dont know which rpms shoukd be installed before running the driver installation. My kernel is 2.6.22.9-server-1mdv. I installed the gcc, make and binutils package but I keep getting errors. I would greatly appreciaty if anyone can give some hints to solve the problem. I have been reading lot of posts but no one made much reference to how I must upgrade the kernel or other repositories needed before installing the driver,

Thanks in advance for the help

Best regards

Alfredo Quevedo

I can see all needed BINARY packages in the official /non-free repo, so I guess your urpmi is either misconfigured, or using an out-of-sync mirror.

Of course you can also use the newest (and probably greatest) package directly from nvidia, but for building the modules you will need kernel-server-devel-2.6.22.9-1mdv, which is at the main release repo. Without it no kernel headers, so no ability to build modules...

If you can't find this one either, take a look at the easyurpmi link at the right top of this forum layout.

Oh... and welcome here!

Edited by scarecrow

Thank you very much Scarecrow for the reply and the Welcome!!.

I am new in Linux, so I think that the best option is to perform a fresh install of Mandriva, since I dont know which packages may I ahve installed. After that I will install kernel-server-devel-2.6.22.9-1mdv. Then I should configure urpmi?

This isn't windows, and normally making a couple of mistakes so far shouldn't be a good reason to reinstall. But if you wish to do so, I can't object...

Setting your urpmi sources (via easyurpmi this procedure is greatly simplified) is the very first thing one should do in Mandriva after setting his graphical environment, his internet connection and rebooting.

Without a sane urpmi configuration one cannot go anywhere...

The vendor of my computer installed it since it was the only 64 bit distribution he had. I noticed that the GFORCE 8600 is not listed when in the XFdrake list. That may be because it is not supported by the powerpack? Is there any chance that with 2008 Spring Edition the driver is installed out of the box with the system instalation?

In XFdrake cards are not listed individually because that will make it have HUGE lists. So instead cards that use the same driver/module are put in groups, such as Geforce FX to Geforce 8800. The group name are changed, by adamw, as necessary when a new driver is released.

Yes 2008 spring should support the card out of the box BUT not with kernel-server, with all the other 3 kernel types in Mandriva kernel-desktop586 kernel-desktop and kernel-laptop.

It's *commercial*, not *proprietary*, packages that are exclusive to PWP. The difference is important. Software that's not Open Source or Free Software but which we can legally distribute to the general public is all free on Mandriva, it's in the public /non-free repository, and the important packages of this type are included in One. The only packages that are exclusive to PWP are ones which are not only not Free Software / Open Source, but whose license does not actually allow us to distribute them to the public - we have negotiated with the publishers for the right to include it on the PWP, but we can't legally just stick it up for anyone to download.

There's a more in-depth explanation at:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Choosing_the_right_edition