running an apache server for the first time - some questions

oRGy

Hey all.

I'm currently running on my mandrake91 box (p700, 128mb RAM) a very simple website with its own domain name etc. Not planning on anything strenuous.

Ehm - I'm new to the business though.

First a dumb newb question - how does one access the apache server logs? Ie where is it. I realise I should RTFM. ;)

Much more important -

I a few weeks back disabled the saslauthd and xinetd services. They were dragging down performance down terribly by generally indulging in hard disk grinding, twas intolerable. Basic question - for my http server, should these be running?

And a question - what security tweaks should I make to protect against simple attacks?

Thanks in advance!

/var/log/httpd/

xinetd ?? it depends what you want to do, im guessing you don't need it for your purposes, but,

Description: xinetd is a powerful replacement for inetd. xinetd has access control machanisms, extensive logging capabilities, the ability to make services available based on time, and can place limits on the number of servers that can be started, among other things.

xinetd has the ability to redirect TCP streams to a remote host and port. This is useful for those of that use ip masquerading, or NAT, and want to be able to reach your internal hosts.

xinetd also has the ability to bind specific services to specific interfaces. This is useful when you want to make services available for your internal network, but not the rest of the world.  Or to have a different service running on the same port, but different interfaces.