Looking for temporary solutions to failed EIDE

oldwierdal

My desktop computer slowly developed problems with the PATA/EIDE ports on the motherboard. Long in developing, and intermittant in nature, by the time I realized just what the problem was, my computer was finally rendered useless in its present state. For very short periods, I was able to boot to my rescue disk, and recover some valuable files from it, but that's about it. So..... I'm exploring options. Here are some givens;

I am experiencing extremely limited cash flow at this point.

I have successfully installed Mandriva 2008 Spring, dual boot, on my company laptop, from which I am posting this, using the Mandriva partition. WinXP Professional on the other partition for work.

I really want to move away from using the company laptop for my personal use expeditiously. It is not panic-time, yet. But, I really want to get going on this piece of the problem.

I believe that the rest of the desktop computer, i.e. cpu, etc. is still functional, as far as I can tell at this point.

I have explored the possibility of getting a PATA/EIDE > USB external drive caddy which I could use with the company laptop. This is a viable option, yet it still involves using the company laptop for personal use. As I've said, I really want to avoid this.

I have also explored the possibility of getting a pci/EIDE card to plug my hard drives and CD/DVD drive into on my desktop. The question I have with this option is, would the pci/EIDE drives boot if the motherboard PATA/EIDE connections are totally inoperative?

I have also explored the possibility of getting a motherboard, motherboard/cpu combo, and a bare-bones box.

The cost of a pci/EIDE card would be the least expensive option, IF it would work.

The costs of either a motherboard, motherboard/cpu combo, or a bare-bones box are very close, and are do-able, if the pci/EIDE card option is not possible.

The cost of the PATA/EIDE > USB external drive caddy is also close to that of a pci/EIDE card.

Does anyone have any experience or knowlege on this? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

owa

The question I have with this option is, would the pci/EIDE drives boot if the motherboard PATA/EIDE connections are totally inoperative?
That is doable, I ran Linux from one for many years but the EIDE problem may be just a symptom of more serious motherboard problems.

If I was in your boots I'd go for the new motherboard or the bare bones box.

Ken