wireless network and monitoring tool in mandriva

tetsujin29

Hi,

I just set up a wireless network using my Mandriva machine as the main wireless access point. Is there a software similar to Airsnare for Windows that can allow me monitor the traffic and security on this network? Can I configure the wireless network (i.e. change master password etc) in Mandriva w/o installing the netgear CD?

I guess he means "AirSnort".

If you googled it a bit, you'd surely find out that AirSnort actually was first introduced under Linux. More than that, it's effectively a dead project since more than three years ago. A more modern/up-to-date tool is Aircrack-ng which is updated regularly.

Edited by scarecrow

AIrsnare is a wireless network intrusion software for windows that can alert the user to unfriendly MAC addresses. I wanted to know if there is an equivalent desktop tool for mandriva. However I can monitor MAC addresses by using the router web interface - it's just more cumbersome sometimes.

Airsnare and airsnort/aircrack-ng are completely different. Airsnort/Aircrack-ng is not the equivalent of airsnare.

Airsnare is an intrusion detection tool to see if any unfriendly mac addresses are using your wireless access point.

Airsnort/Aircrack-ng is a cracking utility to capture packets and gain access to an access point using WEP.

I found that out with a quick google and visiting the airsnare website to read it, as well as the airsnort and aircrack-ng websites and compared that they are NOT the same.

This google search:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

shows that wIDZ and wIDS are simple Linux equivalents, or if you want more features, then you want snort or kismet.

taken from this link:

http://www.informit.com/guides/content.asp...&seqNum=148