P4P800 & MDK 9.1: sound and LAN problems

GuoJing

I just got a P4P800 Deluxe and installed Mandrake 9.1 on it. Everything went smooth except for 2 things:

- The sound is detected by default but there's no sound. XMMS and other audio apps play songs normally except that there's no sound coming out of the speakers :P I tried selecting different drivers but no use. I also compiled and installed the driver downloaded from Asus site but that has the same problem. It says that the Alsa mixer is muted by default and I have unmuted it, but I still can't get any sound.

- I could compile and install the 3com 3c2000 LAN driver fine. insmod, ifconfig, adsl-xxxx worked ok too. However although I did a make and a make install, the driver doesn't seem to be installed properly. I don't get it enabled at bootup, I have to manually go to the folder where I compiled the driver, ifconfig it and insmod it. What should I do to get it automatically load the driver at startup ?

Many thanks in advance :)

Guest el_ace

same problems here but with Audigy2, I can load modules ok but no sound at all. I've been told that before you compile the modules you have to change on KDE Control Panel->Sound System->Sound I/O from Autodetect to ALSA and reboot, then compile. After compiling you have to swich back to Autodetect; I coulnt make it but they say it works. Dunno if I helped.

GuoJing: i know the answer to your second problem, i just don't know it _right now_, but it has to do with /etc/modules.conf i believe...when i get on my MDK box at home (in about 5 or so hours) i'll have an answer...

I think tyme's right; you have to have the module listed in /etc/modules.conf for the module to be loaded at boot. By way of example, here's my modules.conf file:

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci

alias eth0 8139too

alias sound-slot-0 es1371

alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia

The driver for my NIC is 8139too and it's on eth0. I think if you add a similar line but replace 8139too with your driver, you'll be OK.

Hi again

After making sure that I have unmuted everything, I was pulling my hair out wondering why this pos won't work... Suddenly, among my desperate searches, there pops up a thread where a guy plugs his speakers in the microphone port to test. I thought that was funny, but tried it anyway. Guess what, the f*ing thing works in my LineIn port ! :shock: :P :evil: :roll: I think this might have something to do with the fact that this is a 5.1 onboard sound configuration, but I have no idea how to change it. Any suggestion ? :)

edit by Ixthusdan