Can't mount/view dvd in 2009 rc2

volapyk

I have a problem reading dvds in cooker 2009 RC2 gnome. The drive works perfectly with cd-roms and I'm able to burn dvds as well. It detects an empty dvd just fine. But for some reason if I insert a dvd movie, Mandriva thinks the drive is empty. It doesn't mount and if I right click/mount, nothing happens.

I have the following line in /etc/fstab

/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

Can someone lead me to the solution? Thanks.

edit: sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I did not see the cooker section.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by Greg2 :)]

I have had no problems installing libdvdcss into my test OS of 2009-rc2 (cooker). And it works. That is why I suggested it otherwise I would have said nothing. Of course there is no PLF in cooker and I made that clear by recommending using easy-urpmi to set up to plf-free, I don't think I could have made it any clearer. I used 2008-Spring for the repos. I can play dvd movies in both Kaffeine and also Totem. Just also make sure to install most of the plugins for xine as well since both these players use xine.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Thanks aussiejohn and scarecrow. I know libdvdcss2 is needed and it's already installed. I already have the PLF repos (they are available for cooker from easy urpmi).

# urpmi libdvdcss2
Package libdvdcss2-1.2.10-1plf2009.0.i586 is already installed

I don't think this is a plugin or codec problem. I should have all I need installed (I don't use kaffeine). To me it seems like a mounting problem or something like that. When I insert a DVD movie or a DVD data disc with divx movies, the drive is considered to be empty. If I launch totem I will get an error, that there's no disc in the drive. The drive doesn't show up in /media either. I tried booting with the disc inserted, and then it seems to be there, but if I change to another disc it doesn't work.

Try installing libdvdread and libdvdnav as well. Normally I use for viewing my DVD's smplayer, although it doesn't support DVD menus (this is an issue attributed to the mplayer backend, which needs a patch to support DVD menus). You can also try the new VLC 0.9.2, which does have some issues yet, but it's quite promising.

And also, try simply commenting/deleting this entry in your fstab. It may be the reason you fail to mount the DVD's- under the modern HAL revisions you need nothing at all in your fstab referring to DVD/CD drives, or removable media. Only apps like wine ***may*** need such an entry.

Ah, and yes... thanks for the tip that the 2009.0 PLF repos are already open and populated.

Edited by scarecrow

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply. Libdvdread and libdvdnav are already installed. If I boot with the DVD movie in the drive it works. I can play it in totem-xine, vlc 0.9.2 and smplayer. But only if I boot with the DVD in the drive.

The fstab entry was created by the cd/dvd wizard in drakconf/local disks. I tried it to see if it could solve the problem, but it didn't work any better than without a fstab entry. So I removed the line in fstab again.

I've come to the conclusion that it might be the drive. It seems it's rather unstable in 2008.1 as well. I don't play DVD's often, so I didn't notice that before. DVD data discs mount fine though.