Keyboard issues

floppywhopper

Hey everyone

I was hoping someone can help me out

I have been using Mandriva since Mandrake 9, and at installation when it asks for keyboard I have never had any problems submitting US International - until now.

Most of the keys work OK, but the apostrophe ( in particular ) and some of the other grammar keys simply won't work or give other symbols. I am having to use the spellchecker in firefox to constantly correct spelling and grammar.

On installation I selected US Int as usual, and post-install I even found the correct keyboard from a list ( Microsoft Internet keyboard ) but still no joy. Previous installs Mandriva 2007, 2006 etc had no problem with the keyboard so why this one ( Mandriva 2008 Powerpack ).

Can anyone help please

regards

floppy

If some keys are not configured (especially apostrophes and such), then please check first if you really have the right locale setting selected on your system. There are usually several options available for many languages. Not all of them support/enable such "special" characters.

Thankyou David

On that page was the answer

our keyboards were accenting letters instead of placing apostrophes

when I changed from "US Int" to "US" the problem disappeared

This is strange as this has never happened before in the many editions of mandrake / mandriva ( Mandrake 7, 9, 10, 2006,2007, 2008 ) that I've used and I have always specified US Int keyboard at installation and never had this issue.

This is good - one of the last hurdles before ditching windows completely.

Thanks again

floppy