2009 One RC2 Freezes On Number Lock When Booting

Guest stephentony

Guest stephentony

I am new to Mandriva but tried 2009 Beta 1 and fell in love at once. My problem is that after I downloaded the iso for 2009 One RC2, and burned the CD, I found that on boot it kept freezing up (I waited 15 minutes ) at "Number Lock" and I can go no further. I have tried booting with many of the different kernel options to no avail. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I do have a Nvidia GT8500 video card but as I said, 2009 One Beta 1 booted fine. I'm very dissapointed because I fell in love with this particular Linux distro and don't want to install anything else. Please help a Noob!!! LOL Thank you.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

1st option: Boot in failsafe and go into interactive mode by hitting "i" after you bypassed the graphical boot-screen and when asked to start the numlock service, type no.

2nd option: Try booting with one of the following bootparameters

linux noapic

linux noapic nolapic

3rd option: wait a few days until 2009.0 is officially released. Beta and RC versions are not stable but bug-squashing releases.

Is it a laptop?

If so, then simply disable the "numlock" service (which is absolutely useless for laptops, anyway- I could argue it's useless for desktops as well, but I don't want to open that can of worms...

You can do so by doing an interactive startup, or by booting the system offline (e.g. by any boot CD, or a Puppy Linux thumbdrive) and editiing the services config file.