Getting errors launching FreeSpace2 (Ravage's installer)

Guest JaseP

Guest JaseP

I'm getting errors trying to launch FreeSpace2 as installed from Ravage's installer for it (the July 5 checkout version I think). FreeSpace 1 works fine.

The problem I got first (bear with me, I'm trying to remember) was that it was unable to access certain files...

I decided then to copy the files from an older version of Ravage's installer, except the exectable, on top of the new install. The end result is that I now get an error... "Couldn't run Freespace 2 (freespace2.x86). Is FS2_DATA_PATH set?"

The old install (renamed the directory FreeSpace2-1) still works with the old slowness and acceleration problem.

Anyone encounter anything like this???

Guest JaseP

Ok, so dumping the files over then would not work unless I dumped the right ones, I guess...

What would explain the errors in the system not being able to find certain data files (my first error)???

Guest JaseP

Well, FreeSpace 1 locks up on me at a certain point. The only way I can get back into my GUI is to either kill the x-server, or virtual console out and kill the x-servr from there... both inelegant solutions. It works great up to the point of that problem, and then SMACK, trying to go farther in the game results in a lock of the x-server.

I've gone back to using the mis-timed version of FreeSpace 2...

• 3 years later...