mandriva powersave mode

tetsujin29

Hi,

I am running Mandriva Spring 2008 on an intel celeron G2.2hz computer. After setting up and using Mandriva for about a month now, I noticed that my electric bill this month doubled to 70$!! I don't have any other new electronics except for this computer running Mandriva, so this is probably the problem. Is it likely for this to happen ? (i.e. maybe the electrician read the meter wrong, even though he INSISTED that he didn't...) Can someone give me an idea of the normal computer electricity consumption as compared to say, a LCD TV or a xbox 360 system?

I didn't set up powersave (and mandriva doesn't automatically put the CPU to powersave) so if I don't shut down the computer the CPU just runs (sometimes overnight when I have downloads). How do I set up powersave in Mandriva? I coulnd't find it in KDE manager. ..

Thanks very much.

Which kernel version are you running? (Type 'uname -r' in the konsole/terminal)

At least with 'laptop' kernel versions you should have the powersave options available by default. I know, because for some reason Mandriva has for some time detected my desktop as a laptop (most likely because I had a wlan PCI card installed).

But honestly, I very much doubt that the reason for your doubled electricity bill is the laptop... You should be looking somewhere else for that.

I agree with dude67 that unless you use *very* little electricity, it's almost impossible for a single computer to double your usage no matter how inefficiently it's run. A typical desktop PC will consume 200W or so of power, maybe 300. A typical laptop will consume less than 100W. Even if it never does any power saving and consumes the maximum amount *all the time*, that's a lot less than half a typical person's power budget.