Need command-line Guru help - MDK8.2 startx problem

gewb

I tried to update font quality using info from Thomas Green - installed updated files: xft2, fontconfig, and qt3 files. All RMP installs went well.

HOWEVER - upon bootup, login screen just cycles on/off at the "wait busy" icon. Can boot safemode as ROOT and get in under Text and Network - startx will launch in Gnome (which I last used as ROOT before problem).

Trying to get in as [uSER], Text/Network, startx crashes with message:

"Could not open default font "fixed" - try to change some parameters" or it gives "(EE) TDFX(0) DRIScreenInit failed, disabling DRI- Could not init font path element unix/:-1, removing from list - try to change some parameters."

Looks like something with default user (last booted in KDE) is trashed.

Need command-line Guru willing to help non-command line user try to fix so I can get back into [uSER] under KDE. Need to get important files before I try an update to MDK9.

Regards,

GEWB

(linux-newbie)

If the problem only exist while trying to log into kde, try this. This may or may not work. Rename .kderc into .kdercold. This should wipe out all preferences you did in kde and give you a clean kde with default settings and let you save some files. So here are the commands. Make sure you are in your home directory. Typing w/out quotes " pwd " will tell you which directory you are in. Then:

mv .kderc kdercold

Reboot and see if it works. Also BTW, if you want to upgrade to MDK 9.0 without losing some files and settings, providing you have a /home partition, you can do a clean install of MDK 9.0 in expert mode and when it comes time for formatting partitions, don't format your /home partition. Also, if you have been logging into a root desktop which that's what it sounds like, then don't do that anymore. This is very dangerous and you will seriously wreck havoc on your system. Whatever you need root privlages for, use a console and switch to root. It's faster and safer.

I got that message a few times when I first started using ML, and what fixed it a few times was to edit XF86Config-4 and add the paths to the fonts.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/ts.html

http://boudicca.tux.org/mhonarc/ma-linux/2...y/msg00995.html

Have you installed a updated freetype2? Might try that. Or, remove the font pkgs you installed and reinstall the default, and try something else.

Thank you spiedra and bvc for your replies. Sorry for the delayed reply. I tried your ideas and worked on my system for several hours but alas, no joy.

spiedra: I tried your .kderc idea but no-go. I do have a separate Home partition for [uSER] - when MDK 9 hits the stores I'll purchase and upgrade per your recommendation (I do not make on-line purchases so I have to wait). I have been able to copy my Ximian files (mail and contacts) and browser bookmarks to a Windows partition (dual boot). Later today I'll set up a Ximian account as ROOT to see if I can copy those files back and have them available. Hope that works - if not, I'm in trouble!

I understand your concern about logging in as ROOT. However, since this problem came up, that is the only way I can access anything on my MDK system. Normally I do not use a ROOT desktop.

bvc: I tried the links you provided. While their descriptions matched my problem, the solutions didn't work. My config files have the correct path pointers to the fonts. I changed the port (unix/:-1 to unix/:7100) and it totally locked me out - even ROOT couldn't get in. I had a backup file and used the command spiedra provided to restore so at least ROOT could get back in under Gnome (I have no idea how to launch a command-line text editor under Linux).

Yes, I do have the latest freetype2 installed. When I tried to uninstall (per your suggestion), MDK listed many packages it would also uninstall along with the fonts. Those packages included virtually every program that used the fonts - browsers, office suits, etc. I chickened out and cancelled.

All-in-all I can't complain about MDK. I have been using it since the first week 8.0 hit the stores and have never experienced a problem. During the same time period my Windows box has been reloaded twice!

Thanks again for your ideas. I hope 9.0 hits the shelves soon 'cause I don't like using my Winbox to access the internet!

Regards,

GEWB