ntldr missing [solved]

Mr Pockets151

Okay, so I've had a triple boot system for some time now. Ubuntu and Mandriva 2008.1 on one HDD and XP on another. I also have another HDD for files and back-ups. I was using the MDV GRUB to boot all OSes fine and dandy. Recently I upgraded my video card, installed it fine and it ran fine. When I went to reboot however, I failed to remove my USB stick. So I got a system error. When I removed it I got the "ntldr is missing...press cntrl-alt-delete" So I did. Nothing happened. I still got the same error.

I had BIOS setup to boot off the MDV partition first and remapped menu.lst(which I had been doing the whole time) and it was working fine. So I tried to put the MANDRIVA FREE CD in and booted from that. I went into rescue mode and choose fix boot loader. After it finished i tried to reboot and got the same missing ntldr error.

I switched BIOS setting to boot off my XP Partition and somehow I got it to work again( I had to boot the XP cd first then repair). So I can boot into xp, but when I try to go to my previous BIOS setting of MANDRIVA partition to boot GRUB I get ntldr error.

I've tried to search the various Linux forums but, I really can't find out how to fix this(without having to do a clean install of Mandriva!)

Disconnect the HD on where Linux is installed, and boot the system using the windows instllation CD. Instead of performing a normal installation, drop into recovery console mode, and run the "fixboot" command (you can also run "fixmbr - it won't harm).

Now, you can shut down, reconnect the Linux HD and see hat happens. The possible scenarios are two:

1. Grub was installed at the linux HD MBR. All should be fine.

2. Grub was installed at the windows HD MBR. You can simply use your Linux installation CD to reinstal grub.

• 2 weeks later...