Yet another CDROM problem!

rmarin2

Ok, I've searched all over but haven't found an answer to my specific problem. So any help would be appreciated!

I am able to do scsi emulation on my cd drives and use burning software successfully, i.e. use k3b or x-cd-roast. The problem lies when I try to access data off the cdrom. I cannot read a cd from my cdrom but am able to read it from the cdrw. When I 'cd /mnt/cdrom2' I get an input/output error

Here is the kicker. When I take off scsi-emulation for my cdrom, I can access the drive fine, but obviously k3b doesn't see it.

I have 2 drives:

hdc: Plextor CDRW ----> mount point is /mnt/cdrom

hdd: Samsung 40x cdrom ---> mount point is /mnt/cdrom2

lilo.conf:

append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

fstab:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd1,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 are sym links to the correct device

Thank you

-Rich

First thing I'd try is disabling supermount:

# supermount -i disable

I've had nothing but problems with it. Then see if you can mount the drive in a console:

# mount /mnt/cdrom2

If it works ok you can make a mounting icon on your destop for it. If you want supermount back run:

# supermount -i enable

My 2 immediate responses:

1) Yes, disable supermount. pmpatrick is right-on.

2) It is a potential problem placing two cdrom devices on the same ide channel. You currently have your cdrw at Secondeary master and your cdrom as secondery slave. I would consider changing one of them to the other ide channel.

Hmm.. so your saying that supermount doesn't play well with scsi emulation?

As for having the 2 drives on the same channel, I've tried moving them to separate channels but still ran into the same problem. But I will try again in conjuction with disabling supermount.

Thanks for the info!

-Rich

I would not say that supermount does not run with scsi emulation. What I am saying is that supermount sort of runs anytime it wants to correctly, and it creates an unpredictability when other problems manifest. Supermount created seveal odd issues with my system, prior to using scsi emulation with my burner. I turned it back on a while back, and went two weeks before my cdrom would not respond to eject commands, even as root! :roll: Supermount went back off.

In your case, if the problem occurs regardless of where your cd devices, is it really supermount or is it the data transmission error that can occur in the channel? If you have them together, is it supermount doing its sort of thing, or the transmission error? When seperated, is it supermount or gremlins? I suggest you disable and seperate. Just try it, if you like to play! :wink:

i agree with Ixthusdan about supermount. i was having horrendous problems with my cdrom & burner (not) being recognized in K3b & weird ejecting problems. he finally convinced me about the evil supermount & i've been problem free since. get rid of the supermount lines in your fstab, then add icons for your rom & burner to your desktop (if you're using KDE) by right clicking desktop->new->cdrom/dvd device (or something close to that.....not at the Linux machine right now) then point the links to your mnt/cdrom (scd0) mnt/cdrom2 (scd1). you can also do the same if you want to disable supermount with your floppy drive, just right click & select new->floppy drive for the icon & point the link to the mnt/floppy. here's my fstab with the entries to make this all happen:

/dev/hdc7 / ext2 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdc10 /home ext2 defaults 1 2

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,noauto,ro,exec 0 0 dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc6 /mnt/win_e vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc9 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc8 swap swap defaults 0 0

also note, again, if you're using KDE, you can right click on the desktop->configure->& select which device icons you want to appear or hide.

Chris

i agree with Ixthusdan about supermount. i was having horrendous problems with my cdrom & burner (not) being recognized in K3b & weird ejecting problems. he finally convinced me about the evil supermount & i've been problem free since. get rid of the supermount lines in your fstab, then add icons for your rom & burner to your desktop (if you're using KDE) by right clicking desktop->new->cdrom/dvd device (or something close to that.....not at the Linux machine right now) then point the links to your mnt/cdrom (scd0) mnt/cdrom2 (scd1). you can also do the same if you want to disable supermount with your floppy drive, just right click & select new->floppy drive for the icon & point the link to the mnt/floppy. here's my fstab with the entries to make this all happen:

/dev/hdc7 / ext2 defaults 1 1<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/hdc10 /home ext2 defaults 1 2<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,ro,exec 0 0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,noauto,ro,exec 0 0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,noauto,ro,exec 0 0 dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/hdc1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/hdc5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/hdc6 /mnt/win_e vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->none /proc proc defaults 0 0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/hdc9 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/hdc8 swap swap defaults 0 0

also note, again, if you're using KDE, you can right click on the desktop->configure->& select which device icons you want to appear or hide.

Chris

Well I moved the cd drives to different channels and is set up as follows:

hdb: cdrw --> mount point /mnt/cdrom - /dev/scd0

hdd: cdrom --> mount point /mnt/cdrom2 - /dev/scd1

I also disabled supermount but still cannot access data off the cdrom. This time, everytime I try to mount the drive I get an error saying FileSystem Type must be specified. When I change fstab to reflect the ISO9660 file type for that drive, the next error message I get is 'wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on scd1, or too many filesystems mounted'.

I am fresh out of ideas! :)

-Rich

did this probalem just occur after setting up k3b &/or xcdroast, or has it been from the get go? reason i ask, is that may be a key. after setting up those 2 programs, i started having problems with my drives/data not being recognized & had to start tweaking some things, so fill in that blank please. also, are you sure you have permissions set correctly for your burner? mind you, i'm new at this too, but after what i went through with cdrom/burner/ide/scsi/k3b/xcdroast i feel pretty confident about setting all of those devices & programs up. also, 2 other things to do............(this is kinda late into the game to mention this :oops: ) but, before editing fstab, lilo, or any configuration file, it's always wise to backup a good working copy of said file in case things get way beyond your comprehension to repair them. that way, you can just replace with the good file & you'd (at least) be back where you started. second, you can delete all lines in your fstab referencing your cdrom & cdrw, go to Mandrake Control Center->Mount Points, & use the wizard there to set up your drives. it's pretty easy to understand using the MCC. you can set types, permission, etc in there. again, i'd advise you to make back up copies before you start editing your heart out if you don't feel confident in doing so. sorry, but i'm at work, so i gotta get back to that now. if somebody else can't get you straightened out, i'll have time to get back here tonight from home.

Chris

did this probalem just occur after setting up k3b &/or xcdroast, or has it been from the get go? reason i ask, is that may be a key. after setting up those 2 programs, i started having problems with my drives/data not being recognized & had to start tweaking some things, so fill in that blank please. also, are you sure you have permissions set correctly for your burner? mind you, i'm new at this too, but after what i went through with cdrom/burner/ide/scsi/k3b/xcdroast i feel pretty confident about setting all of those devices & programs up. also, 2 other things to do............(this is kinda late into the game to mention this :oops: ) but, before editing fstab, lilo, or any configuration file, it's always wise to backup a good working copy of said file in case things get way beyond your comprehension to repair them. that way, you can just replace with the good file & you'd (at least) be back where you started. second, you can delete all lines in your fstab referencing your cdrom & cdrw, go to Mandrake Control Center->Mount Points, & use the wizard there to set up your drives. it's pretty easy to understand using the MCC. you can set types, permission, etc in there. again, i'd advise you to make back up copies before you start editing your heart out if you don't feel confident in doing so. sorry, but i'm at work, so i gotta get back to that now. if somebody else can't get you straightened out, i'll have time to get back here tonight from home.

Chris

Actually the problem has occurred from the initial install of mandrake 9.1. Actually this happend when i had 9.0 installed as well. I thought it would clear up if I did a fresh install of 9.1, but I guess not.

As for the backup, I've learned a long time ago to backup crucial files and data. So should something go horribly wrong while I'm trying to fix this problem, I can get back to my original starting point.

As for permissions, yes, that is ok.

I have no problems using MCC or command line. Command line is a little easier for me! :)

Thanks for your help Chris, and everyone else who has contributed their opinions!!

I will keep plugging away and researching. The answer must lie somewhere!! :)

-Rich

here's another link that may help you with k3b & clear up your problem:

http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/k3b.html

not to step on static's excellent intstructions, but i found the above link a little easier to follow & that's what got k3b & my drives all working in harmony. pay special note to where it says (if you haven't done this already) "make sure the 'Let k3b setup create fstab entries' tick box is unchecked". if you leave that box checked, k3b will write to your fstab & create it's own k3b.fstab file too, & they seem to interfere with each other. note that my fstab file doesn't contain the entries that look like this

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd ./cdrom

k3b puts that there if you let it edit the fstab. after i disabled supermount, manually set my mount points, & ran k3b setup without letting it edit my fstab, all worked fine for me. and, the reason i mentioned xcdroast, is, i found that xcdroast over rides the k3b permissions for cdrecord, cdrdao, & mkisfos, so you may want to check xdroast settings as "root", and set it to allow all users permission to that & save those settings. that's just my experience & it took me a while to work that out (with the fine help of people on this forum) but now i'm able to burn disc to disc, iso's, & anything else i want without a problem. last post for this afternoon. i gotta get some more work done. (damn, doesn't work always get in the way of important things?! :wink: )

Chris