Firefox 3 in Mandriva 2008.1 [solved]

ianw1974

Man, my first Mandriva question in ages :)

OK, so I'm now back with Mandriva 2008.1 on my system. Now, either it's me, or Firefox 3 doesn't exist in any of the repos. I have enabled all main/contrib/updates/backports/plf repos, and yet it's not there.

Did you also have this problem?

Well, I got it enabled, and it's not showing as installable. Unless of course, it's a mirror problem.

EDIT:

no removed all sources and added using easyurpmi. So what gives? main_backports is enabled, and yet nothing is showing. Same for rar from plf and this is supposed to exist.

Well, I finally found it was an inconsistency in file naming conventions. The main package is just firefox-3, whereas the library was lib64firefox3. I should have just done:

urpmi firefox

and I'd would have had FF3 installed. Sadly though, rar is still unavailable, but I can live with that now that I don't need it for the app I was intending to use - as I found an alternative.

Aye, I can see FF 3.0.1 in the "backports"- but I've checked only the i586 repo.

That said... ummm, hate to say it, but Firefox 3.X crashes a lot under Linux, no matter if it's built from plain source, or built against xulrunner 1.9, or finally as mozilla.org binary...

In every instance it crashes a lot, and for no apparent reason, while tha latest 2.1.X breed is perfectly stable.

Admitted, 3.X is much faster and using slightly less resources, but I've virtually given up with 3.X, until the stability problems are resolved. And this is not just on my Archlinux, but pretty much any Linux distro.

What's wrong with Kazekahase, Opera, Konqueror or even the highly immature webkit-based Arora? (Midori and Flock are rather unstable, both of them).

I thought my problem of Firefox 3 crashing was fixed, but it crashed yesterday. It seems to do it when I push the back button a lot.

Edit:

Oh, another thing I forgot. I usually hit the back button, then start scrolling with my mouse before the page is completely loaded. While doing that, it crashes at times.

Edited by Kieth

• 1 year later...

I thought my problem of Firefox 3 crashing was fixed, but it crashed yesterday. It seems to do it when I push the back button a lot.

Edit:

Oh, another thing I forgot. I usually hit the back button, then start scrolling with my mouse before the page is completely loaded. While doing that, it crashes at times.

My firefox 3 crashes all the time. It is becoming unusable. This is a new install. All plugins disabled.

I am currently running 2008-Spring, with everything up to date including latest Mandriva Firefox.

I have experienced Firefox induced system crashes. These occasionally occur when I leave the newly opened Firefox at the opening webpage for more than about between 10 to 20 seconds. When it crashes it goes in reboot mode of its own choosing. How ever that then requires me to reboot again because a number of applications such as sound, konqueror and whatever don't work properly. After the second reboot things run properly and normally again.

If I quickly open some other website after Firefox opens then it behaves and never crashes no matter what website or how long I spend at that website or on a page. No other application causes this crash and reboot problem. In fact I have never seen this "crash and self reboot" in Linux ever in the past. It is more like the sort of thing to be experienced in Windows. :-(

This has been happening for about 6 months through a number of Firefox updates. It is presently Mozilla/5.0. It does seem to be a Firefox bug.

Since I know how to easily avoid the problem, I haven't bothered to seek a remedy, here or elsewhere.

Cheers. John.