kernel 2.6 RPMs

tyme

It just seems wrong to install a kernel from a rpm.... but I guess that is pretty close to what is happening when you do a standard Mandrake install anyway...

Yeah, but it is damn easy. And you don't need to if you don't want to.

Well my computer aint fast and compilin 2.4.21 takes a while. 2.6 would probably be longer. And RPMs are not only configured and compiled appropriately but they are very quick to install. And i know how to and I have compiled kernels before so i won't really learn much new compiling it.

The logical choice for me is RPM.

And urpmi.update is running now, i'll let you know what happens when I get the new one.

James

SooOOOoo anoying :twisted: What a wasted day :roll: sheesh :shock: I had a little script editing to do with 2.5 in it's early days but this sucker is rediculous! Since every mdk kernel eats my mem/swap so that I have to logout or reboot every 30min. I first tried the vanilla 2.6 test2. Over and over getting errors on stuff I never touched :shock: . After about 10 failed attempts I tried the 2.6.rpm in our cooker (link above). Welcome to dep hell, if you're dialup, and don't want a cooker install, don't bother! At the minimun you'll need

kernel-2.6.0-0.test2.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

initscripts-7.06-16mdk.i586.rpm

mkinitrd-3.4.43-6mdk.i586.rpm

module-init-tools-0.9.11a-4mdk.i586.rpm

If this is as far as you wanna go and want to take your chances you'll have to force initscripts :roll: , otherwise it requires another 350MB of cooker pkgs.

It's slow as molasses....ide won't set....usbmouse won't work.....test, test, test it is, and test, test, test I won't :wink:

Have Fun!

If the initscripts pkgs isn't installed the 2.6 won't even attempt to load the new mods for certain things, like usb (some mods have diff names so your modules.conf won't work and has to be reconfigured). It's been completely redesigned, which makes the transition difficult. What really blows my mind is that my ps/2 mouse worked when all configs said my mouse should be a usb wheel mouse. I'm still baffled on that one. If I had the hd space for a cooker/test install I'd do it, but I don't. Gotta keep Debian :wink: