any cd cover designer software for Linux/MDK?

chris z

now that i've worked out the bugs with K3b & i know my way around XCDRoast, i was wondering if there are any CD cover designer apps for Linux/MDK? something with templates, text, shapes, colour choices, data formatting, etc. in Window$ i use Nero for burning & it comes with an add on called Nero Cover Designer, which does the job i'm hoping to do in Linux quite nicely. you can also use it to make CD labels, but i tend to use TDK label maker for that, since it's a bit easier to manipulate. i just can't stand burning a CD, then writing on it with black marker & sticking it in a clear case! i like to make them look a bit more pleasing to the eye. i'm sure i can use some kind of already installed/available Linux software to make pictures, crop, ect. (ala Paint Shop Pro, for example) but, ideally, what i want is the whole thing in one package. Nero is great for that.......pick the CD case size you want (slim line, normal, double disk, etc) & it sets the size automatically for your work space, then all you have to do is add pics, artwork, text, etc., print, & cut along the dotted lines for a perfect fit in your jewel case. so, any suggestions on software that can do this?

Chris

awesome! that looks exactly what i'm lookin' for! what did you search for in Google? i tried a couple different variations of "linux cd cover designer" & didn't find anything even worth giving a second glance to. do you think that will work with KDE? that's the desktop manager that i've been stuck on. anyway, back to work. i'll try that download tonight or tomorrow. thanks again!

Chris

I presume it will work as long as you have Gnome installed as well as KDE.
or, at the very least, the necessary gtk libs. although, if you happen to have to compile it from source (which I don't know if you do, i didn't look) you'll need the respective *-devel packages.

i have Gonme installed, but rarely have used it. i'll check to make sure i have the gtk libs installed, before trying to download/use it. i've yet to compile anything, so maybe i'll try pmpatrick's link too/instead. i haven't f*cked things up in a while, so now i guess would be a good time to try, huh? :wink:

thanks again for the info,

Chris

WOOOHOOOO! i did my first ./configure, make, make install! :D okay, enough with the celebrating. now that i've installed the KCDLabel tar.gz, i took a look at the program & it wasn't quite what i was hoping for. i then installed the GCover rpm & that's the shit! many more options, easy to use interface, it's a keeper. soooo.......my question is, what is the proper way to uninstall a tar.gz installation? i mean, with rpm's you can use rpmdrake uninstaller. do i just delete the KCDLabel directory, or is there more to it then that? and thanks for links, 'specially spinynorman!

Chris

WOOOHOOOO! i did my first ./configure, make, make install!  :D okay, enough with the celebrating. now that i've installed the KCDLabel tar.gz, i took a look at the program & it wasn't quite what i was hoping for. i then installed the GCover rpm & that's the shit! many more options, easy to use interface, it's a keeper. soooo.......my question is, what is the proper way to uninstall a tar.gz installation? i mean, with rpm's you can use rpmdrake uninstaller. do i just delete the KCDLabel directory, or is there more to it then that? and thanks for links, 'specially spinynorman!

Chris

Go into the directory where you compiled the program, and type "make uninstall" as root. Then you can delete that directory.

emh wrote:

Go into the directory where you compiled the program, and type "make uninstall" as root. Then you can delete that directory.

that did it. thanks! to all!

Chris

has anybody used these programs (gcover &/or kcdlabel)? i have them both installed & i've been playing with both, but neither of them seems to do what i want it to do entirely. neither of them come with any help sections. my problems are this:

kclabel.........i can't get anything to line up (text wise) or get cd cover artwork to fit the whole size of the page layout. when i use a cd cover copied off of Amazon, it will always fit perfectly when i use Nero in Window$, but it's always too small in kclabel. also, there are options to resize, fit to shape, etc. but they're all greyed out & i can't find a way to make them functional. i have the same problem with text. i like the text feature better in this program because you can add multiple lines of text with each line having different fonts, sizes, colours, etc. but, i can't get the text centered in the cd page layout, & again, all the boxes to manipulate such an action are greyed out. i like this program better for it's text features, that gcover doesn't seem to support, if only i could get them to work.

gcover........this program has more features than gcover, which i do like. it will fit cd cover art perfectly for the page layout. but the text features are very lame, or i'm just not getting it. you can only use 1 font, in 1 size, in 1 colour for text, which doesn't suit my needs for labeling. i like to get creative with my cd designs. again, with Nero, i can set up a cd back cover to have the name of artist, name of cd, song titles with any other info i want in there (track time, sub titles, notes). i can make background colours, patterns, insert images, & arrange the text to any way, shape, size, or colour that i see fit. i can't seem to do this in gcover.

what i've accomplished so far is i've used gcover to print out cover art. i've tried playing with gimp to make a cd cover text template, but i've got a lot of learning to do, so i haven't been succesful via that method. i'm still plugging away at it & i've resisited the temptation to boot into Window$ solely for this purpose. but, if i can't get these programs to do what i want them to do, i may have no choice. :( if anybody can offer up some tips, tell me what i might be doing wrong or need to do, or direct me to some helpful documentation for these programs, i'd be eternally grateful. :D

gotta get some work done now.

TIA,

Chris

thanks for that link! i did come across that while Googling earlier, but i'm at work so i can't do anything about it at the moment. reading the description, i'm still not sure it's what i'm looking for, but i'll at least give it a whirl to be possitive. i'll keep plugging away. any more suggestions would be welcome, though.

Chris

I use Open Office Writer to make my CD covers and labels. You can find some helpful templates at: http://ooextras.sourceforge.net/downloads/english/

It takes a bit more time to design the artwork, but it certainly gives you allot of control over your finished product.