When connected - where do I find my mp3 player?

erniev

Thanks to everyone who helped my previous post on installing LAME to hep with creating mp3 files.

Now If I could ask another question - having created some mp3 files - how do I now copy them to my mp3 player.

I get as far as connecting the USB cable but then I am lost - I cannot find the mp3 player on the desktop and my Linux knowledge is such that I would not know where to look in the folders. Is there something I should be doing that will allow me to view the mp3 players and copy files to it?

My mp3 player is a Sopny Walkman NWZ-A818

Thank you

ernie

[moved from Software by Greg2]

Actually, nowhere.

It is an MTP device, so to access it you need some mtp layer (libmtp) and an appropriate application (say gnomad 2) installed.

That said, a firmware update ***MAY*** give your device ums abilities, so it will be mountable as a regular mass storage device... but for Sony, this isn't likely at all. Maybe using some unofficial, hacked firmware.

Or, alternatively, checking out what happens with OLDER firmware revisions. A good example is the Samsung U3 MP3 player, which was an UMS device up to firmware revision 1.10, but after that, due to some "pact" with Microshaft, it has turned to an MTP device (that is for the regular US/EU firmware- using the Corean firmware the device is STILL UMS- go figure...).

Edited by scarecrow

Rhythmbox and amaroK can both handle MTP-based players fine. Just make sure the libmtp packages are installed. For Rhythmbox that's all you need to do: run it, plug in the player, and you'll see the player in the list on the left of the screen, and you'll be able to drag and drop songs to and from it (if the songs aren't already in MP3 format you'll need the gstreamer0.10-lame package to enable Rhythmbox to transcode them on the fly). For amaroK I think you also need to go to the configuration screens and enable a plugin for mtp support.

With your system already booted, plug in your walkman. Then please open a terminal and post the output of
dmesg | tail -n 15

Thank you - here is the output....

[ev@localhost ~]$ dmesg | tail -n 15

sda: rw=0, want=4294967292, limit=15319040

attempt to access beyond end of device

sda: rw=0, want=4294967228, limit=15319040

sda: rw=0, want=4294967232, limit=15319040

sda: rw=0, want=4294967284, limit=15319040

sda: rw=0, want=4294967288, limit=15319040

Dunno about Rhythmbox, but Amarok does have a script named Transcode (must be installed via the net and activated via the scripts manager) which does the trick.

However, trancoding lossy formats to lossy inevitably means quality loss, no matter what software/OS you are using... but I guess you already know that.

Rhythmbox should do it automatically, if it knows the format the player requires. I know how this is handled for USB mass storage players but I'm not so sure about MTP players. So what happens at the moment - it just transfers it in the original format?

Oh, wait, never mind. I found it. it's handled just like USB mass storage players. If you're interested, look at /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players-libmtp.fdi and search it for the string '818'. You can see the stuff for your player there. It does look to be set to transcode to MP3 where appropriate, though. What format was the file you transferred to the device?

Edited by adamw